Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC 3 in a '99, No Flywheel and Upgraded Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPEC 3 in a '99, No Flywheel and Upgraded Hydraulics

I've go a SPEC 3 for my '99 Z28, but don't want to pay for the upgraded hydraulics or flywheel. What's the big deal? Why would I need them? Do I NEED them? Pros and cons, please.

What would another flywheel do? What's the difference? hydraulics just push the cluth in, and it goes in fine now, so...

I would also start up another to drill mod or not to drill mod thread, but, though I have not searched nor even looked, I just KNOW there are 100's of threads about it, so I'll just do a search (gasp) for the pros and cons of the drill mod.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, i just told them to keep the flywheel and send back the hydraulics. They said the flywheel came bolted to it or as part of the kit or something, whereas the hyd. came seperate. So... What's done is done but I'd still like to know.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

It probably would've been a good idea to do some research first.

You're definately going to need an 01-02 slave cylinder .... changing the master isn't necessary unless the car has ~50,000+ miles on it, but either way you should take it out to do the drill mod, so it might be a good idea to toss a new one on there to save you the headache later on down the line (they are somewhat obnoxious to get out).
Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will need a new slave and probably the new master or make your stock master adjustable to move more fluid
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second the idea of getting a new slave! upgraded 01-02 slave!! you stock one will take a crap on you and the clutch pedal will stick to the floor and it sucks ***!!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

the upgraded master isn't really necessary in my opinion. but you will really want to upgrade the slave. it's not that much money, and you mind as well do it right the first time. you will hate having to drop your trans again down the line just for a slave. also, the drill mod is a good idea. it's free, all you do is drill out the tiny piece of plastic that restricts the hydraulic line going to the slave.
in my personal experience, the spec 3 is a a 50-50 clutch...either it's great and you have no problems, or it's a total POS. there seems to be very little inbetween with them
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone just shot themself in the foot.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by x phantom x
.You're definately going to need an 01-02 slave cylinder .... changing the master isn't necessary unless the car has ~50,000+ miles on it, but either way you should take it out to do the drill mod, so it might be a good idea to toss a new one on there to save you the headache later on down the line (they are somewhat obnoxious to get out).
113,000 miles and the clutch is still holding strong.

Is the "slave cylinder" the same thing as "hydraulics"? I got the kit, everything but the hydraulics. I could still tell him to hold it I suppose.

And, i know all about the opinion of people on LS1Tech about SPEC. some people love them, others hate them. I've driven two cars (one a H/C car) with them and I liked them so. Hope this doesn't turn into another one of the 100s of SPECs are bad/SPECs are good threads.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sharpe
113,000 miles and the clutch is still holding strong.

Is the "slave cylinder" the same thing as "hydraulics"? I got the kit, everything but the hydraulics. I could still tell him to hold it I suppose.

And, i know all about the opinion of people on LS1Tech about SPEC. some people love them, others hate them. I've driven two cars (one a H/C car) with them and I liked them so. Hope this doesn't turn into another one of the 100s of SPECs are bad/SPECs are good threads.
113,000 miles and the ORIGINAL Clutch?? Are you the only owner of your car?? I would have to assume the owner before you changed it out. The stock clutches usually last 50,000 miles or so.

With 113,000 miles, you're definately going to want to go ahead and replace both the master and slave cylinders (the "hydraulics"). I believe it is like $275 or so for the both of them, including the lines and everything. Do the drill mod on the master, and pop them both in.

Trust me, I've had 3 spec clutches now, and they are very tough on the slave cylinders. Not much sucks more then having to pay a shop to take the tranny out (or doing it yourself) because you decided not to replace a $110 part while you were in there the first time. I would do the master as well, since you have to take it out to do the drill mod anyways, and it's a PITA to get out/back in again.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Alright, I'll call them back. They're going to hate me. This will be the third time they do an invoice!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Called them back. Told them to keep the "hydraulics." Asked them if that was the same thing as the master and slave cyl. and they said yes, but it was just the lady who answers the phone, so I don't know. Whatever.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Called them back. Told them to keep the "hydraulics." Asked them if that was the same thing as the master and slave cyl. and they said yes, but it was just the lady who answers the phone, so I don't know. Whatever.
I don't know why you keep putting hydaulics in quotes, like it's a mystery what that is.

The "hydraulics" is the master cylinder, and the slave cylinder ... that's it. There is a tank on the master that houses the (you guessed it) hydraulic fluid, and a line that runs from the master to the slave. When you push down on the pedal, the master pushes fluid to the slave, which in turn actuates your clutch.

If this stuff isn't up to the task of pushing the extra pressure of aftermarket clutches, or if it's just old ... it will crap out, and cause you to have to rip the tranny back out.

Honestly, do what you want, but not buying the upgraded slave WILL cost you a ton of money in the future (I have gone through about 4 slaves in the past few years). Not upgrading the master is a 50/50 shot, but with your milage, I would guess it's gonna crap out soon as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Not to steal the thread or anything, but im in the same process, wheres a good place to get a new slave? i think ill risk it on the master
Old 07-16-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Not to steal the thread or anything, but im in the same process, wheres a good place to get a new slave? i think ill risk it on the master
from a dealer, or a speed shop that has good connections to stock parts
Old 07-20-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know if I missed this in previous responses but make sure to change the pilot bearing, too. FWIW, I replaced the hydraulics in my car and IMO it was the best thing I did for the system. Drive the car really hard yet and wonder why your clutch pedal will not come off the floormat? I hope you don't find out like I did. If you can do it, do it right and save yourself a lot of headache later.