Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch Problems

I'm having some problems with my clutch. This morning was the worst it's been, having to try crawling through traffic. It seems like it's the master cylinder, because I'll hold the clutch pedal down for period, but then it's engaging right off the floor. It's gotten so bad that there was one time where it wouldn't go into gear until I pumped up the pedal.

So, is that a bad master or slave? Could it be both? I don't have a problem changing the master, but the slave requires removing the transmission; not my favorite thing to do.

What's everybody think?

Brian
Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the master or it could just be air in the line.

Since you have headers, have you checked to see how close the hydrolic line is to them? It could be from heat. Only thing that makes me think that is that when you pump the clutch a few times, it gets better.

I would check the fluid to see what it looks like, see if its burnt or low on fluid.

If the hydrolic line is too close to the header it could be boiling the fluid. I ended up heat wrapping the line and I also started running DOT 4 fluid and I havent had any problems since then.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chadtx01
It could be the master or it could just be air in the line.

Since you have headers, have you checked to see how close the hydrolic line is to them? It could be from heat. Only thing that makes me think that is that when you pump the clutch a few times, it gets better.

I would check the fluid to see what it looks like, see if its burnt or low on fluid.

If the hydrolic line is too close to the header it could be boiling the fluid. I ended up heat wrapping the line and I also started running DOT 4 fluid and I havent had any problems since then.
I don't have headers (those are on the '80 Trans Am). I'm going to take a look at the fluid when I get home from work and see how cruddy it looks. This car only has 13,000 miles on it. It's an '01 that I just bought 3 months ago. It wasn't driven very much and therefore, perhaps the seals in the slave have gone away. I just HATE having to pull the transmission to put in a slave cylinder. I'd like to put a new clutch in, but that's more money. Augh!! Cars!!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I'm almost going through the same problem. I'm gonna start by bleeding out the system and see if that helps. Everything on my car is brand new. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/527031-clutch-problem-need-help.html
Old 06-19-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you mean as far as fixing the slave. I had to replace the slave in my car 4 times now, and I just bought the car last November.

I would start with checking the fluid. Top it off and pump the clutch til it builds up some pressure. Check it for the next couple days and see if you're losing fluid.

You probably wont see a drip under the car because it's going to drip into the bellhousing if the slave is cracked.

My car did the same thing, it was fine around town, when I was easing into it, but as soon as I really got into it and slammed some gears, the slave was gone and so was the clutch.

It would be better to drop the tranny and replace it now, then get somewhere and have it strand you. I've had that happen too, and waiting for a flatbed to come pick your car up sucks *****.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems