Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Transmission

I just bought a used 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6. It has 84K miles and everything is still stock. When in first gear and you are hitting the engaging point it seems to want to slip. The car doesnt want to get up and go. Once you get it going it takes off. Best way for me to try to explain is it kind of feels like the clutch slips. It engages where it needs to, however at times it is like you have to ride the clutch cuz it doesnt want to take off. Going in and out of 3rd gear is rough and sometimes in other gears when you let off the clutch it wants to jump (small jerk) at the engaging point.

Just two questions:
1) Is it my clutch?
2) Is the LS7 clutch/ LS2 flywheel a good replacement when I replace the clutch and does putting this clutch in the transmission require other mods? Had a guy at a shop today say he wouldnt warranty his work if he did it because doing that requires to many mods.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Put it in 6th gear at like 40 mph and punch it, if the rpms go up fast/faster then normal or go straight up. Its the clutch slipping
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93formulabird
Put it in 6th gear at like 40 mph and punch it, if the rpms go up fast/faster then normal or go straight up. Its the clutch slipping
I dont know about all that chief. A completely stock car will not have the power to blow through the clutch if its just starting to slip (which a modded car will easily). Although 6th gear is the right gear to try it in. If your car is stock and and it feels like the clutch is slipping to you then i would suggest to get on the freeway and in 6th gear around 70-75mph and gas into it. Then see if you rpm's raise rapidly and if so, that means its time to replace the clutch. There are many variables in this. Car with 84k miles on it and how much rag has been put on the car which is probably enough to give you some hell and costly damage. And there could be driver error?? Just my .02.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

I tried the 6th gear at 40mph. It seemed to be sluggish. Is that the way its suppose to be? Never had one of these cars so Im not sure. And on the "driver error", I have driven standard for 6 years so I doubt that that is the case. Thanks for yalls help.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

well in the owners manual it says that 6th gear is meant for speeds of 60 or greater...so try that theory at a higher speed
Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Okay I have a question that shows my lack of knowledge. The girl when I bought the car said that one of the vacuum tubes had possible blockage. What is the vacuum tube specifically and could that be the problem or what problems would that cause?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ttsraider
Okay I have a question that shows my lack of knowledge. The girl when I bought the car said that one of the vacuum tubes had possible blockage. What is the vacuum tube specifically and could that be the problem or what problems would that cause?
I dont think that girl knew what she was saying, but there are lots of vacum tubes. If it was blocked you'd know it, the car would run like poop.