Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Define Powershifting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Define Powershifting...

Me and one of my friends were arguing about this the other day... He drives a Mach 1 with a hell of a clutch and talkin about how powershifting is so hard in his car and im like **** powershifting is a breeze in my car.

So, in your guys' opinion, what is the "correct" was to powershift?? Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the trannys in our cars, that would be never lifting off the gas pedal, while depressing the clutch and tagging the next gear as quickly as possible.

Old school powershifting was said to be done by slamming it into the next gear without the use of the clutch at all. Do this a few times in a synchronized tranny and I hope you have some money for a rebuild....
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Easy, no clutch, or side stepping the clutch. With minimal downtime between gears obv.

That's the only powershifting there is. Ripping on the shifter isn't powershifting.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

haha thats what i thought, he said it was dont lift off the gas, jsut barley put in the cluth ( enough to get it in and out of gear but not fully disengaged) then go and i said not off the gas, rip it out of gear with no clutch then just barely kick the cluth to get it into gear....

sound at all right? i no there pry isnt a "right" way to powershift, but whats the general way you guys go
Old 06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
haha thats what i thought, he said it was dont lift off the gas, jsut barley put in the cluth ( enough to get it in and out of gear but not fully disengaged) then go and i said not off the gas, rip it out of gear with no clutch then just barely kick the cluth to get it into gear....

sound at all right? i no there pry isnt a "right" way to powershift, but whats the general way you guys go
Dude, gas to the floor is a must! It's the whole point. I didn't even bother mentioning that in the first post.

Best method = WOT, side step the clutch and rip the gear. It's all in the timing.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And please explain to me how you side step the clutch?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blck_01ss
And please explain to me how you side step the clutch?
sliding your foot off the pedal at the bottom and letting it pop up as fast as it can. In the old days guys used to take the rubber pad off the clutch peddle so it would be more slick and drive with leather soled shoes and hit the clutch with a glancing motion.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is not taking your foot off the gas while shifting, hard on the tranny and clutch?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by mjhoward
sliding your foot off the pedal at the bottom and letting it pop up as fast as it can. In the old days guys used to take the rubber pad off the clutch peddle so it would be more slick and drive with leather soled shoes and hit the clutch with a glancing motion.
That's all she wrote.

Here's a good one for you. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...7b1d1ea64c.htm
I was specifically trying to find a guy in a '70 Chevelle with a fuel injected 383. He is in second LI Extreme street racing DVD.

Anyways, listen carefully and go off that. You can hear him WOT, side step quickly and rip the gear at the same time. Practice on a **** box, then fine tune your skills on your Camaro.

Originally Posted by Louie83
Is not taking your foot off the gas while shifting, hard on the tranny and clutch?
Yes, mostly on the clutch. The idea is to do it quickly.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like wear and tear to me. I think i would only run my car like that if there were more than a couple bills on it $$$$$$. : )
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Dude, gas to the floor is a must! It's the whole point. I didn't even bother mentioning that in the first post.

Best method = WOT, side step the clutch and rip the gear. It's all in the timing.
Thats how I'd define it as well.

Accelerator to the floor, blip the clutch, and grab the next gear
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

WOT + Quick foot and quicker right hand. period.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Here's a good one for you. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...7b1d1ea64c.htm
I was specifically trying to find a guy in a '70 Chevelle with a fuel injected 383. He is in second LI Extreme street racing DVD.

Anyways, listen carefully and go off that. You can hear him WOT, side step quickly and rip the gear at the same time. Practice on a **** box, then fine tune your skills on your Camaro.
christ that guy is fast
Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

In my 71 Nova I ran back to back passes(several) and I picked up exactly .2 sec in the 1/8th just from powershifting. Yes is hard on the synchros and clutch.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Power shift ---> No clutch
Speed shift ---> Blip the clutch

(Of course this is without taking the foot off the gas)

This was what I was told by a couple of guys.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Power shift ---> No clutch
Speed shift ---> Blip the clutch
That is not correct. There is no way that a synchronized tranmission will ever go into gear, under WOT, without using the clutch. If it did, it would eat itself on the first pass.

Power shifting is called "power" shifting, because you are shifting under full power, WOT. You still use the clutch, but you do it as little and as quickly as you can.

Any other terms are just randing guys making up their own s**t.

Andrew
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a guy on the sreetfire website also in a white ss that can powershift the fu*k out of his car. my boy in his formula(99formulam6) raced him and have it on video. u can hear how fast he shifts. ill try to find the video, but he also said hes been through 3 trannys already. pros and cons to the situation.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
That is not correct. There is no way that a synchronized tranmission will ever go into gear, under WOT, without using the clutch. If it did, it would eat itself on the first pass.
I didn't say that my opinion was right, I was just repeating what I was told. I would never attempt "power" shifting my car, hell I haven't even tried "speed" shifting yet b/c I'm afraid to tear the tranny up.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LastLT1
there is a guy on the sreetfire website also in a white ss that can powershift the fu*k out of his car. my boy in his formula(99formulam6) raced him and have it on video. u can hear how fast he shifts. ill try to find the video, but he also said hes been through 3 trannys already. pros and cons to the situation.
If you're going to powershift your car and beat on the trans, be prepared to get a rebuild.

If course, the permanent solution to that would be a rebuilt T56 with cryotreated gears, triple cone synchros, heavy duty internals, ect, rated for somewhere around 800HP - just to be on the safe side

I think my T56 is going to need a rebuild in the not so distant future, it likes to grind 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on occasion if I shift it fast. This is especially true when the trans is cold.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or, you could buy a pro-shifted T56.

Quick Reply: Define Powershifting...