Setting the stoppers on pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Setting the stoppers on pro 5.0

I lost my instructions for my pro 5.0
what were the instructions for the stoppers. I remember it was somthing like
turn it in all the way and then back it off a certain amout of turns. Help me out guys.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some will say not to run them at all (as the T56 does have an internal stop, but honestly, it's weak, I've seen it fail on transmissions I've worked on).

In my opinion, you only need the 4th gear stop, as that's the one that's most likely to get overshifted (how many guys have their T56's get stuck in 4th? quite a few! a stop would likely prevent that).

What I do (when I ran a stop in my Pro 5.0) is to put the bolt to where it lets you put the shifter in 4th gear - and put the shifter in 4th gear and let it sit naturally. Then turn the bolt until it's almost touching the shifter, but not quite (see a little light between the shifter and the bolt head). Then cinch down the nut on the bolt to hold it in place.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Teching In

and put the shifter in 4th gear and let it sit naturally. Then turn the bolt until it's almost touching the shifter, but not quite (see a little light between the shifter and the bolt head). Then cinch down the nut on the bolt to hold it in place.
This is what I did for mine. I also put it into every gear and checked the stops to verify that they would clear with a little room to play. This way when you're speed shifting you won't over shift.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

I didnt set mine because my cousin told me the T56 has internal stops like mentioned earlier. He worked for G-Force transmission so i trusted what he said, although from what was said earlier about them being weak, I may set it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yah, the "stop" is just a nub of metal that slides around in a gate/guide area. I've had 1 transmission that this stub was half broken off (on the edge where it would hit 4th gear, I might add). It's not very big, and it does wear.

Improperly set stops can destroy a transmission as well. If you don't get the shifter all the way in gear, well, this is what can happen (my own transmission). I was not running stops when that happened, but I didn't get the transmission all the way in to 2nd gear, and I dumped the clutch to do my burnout... That was the first time I rebuilt one of these trannies.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It says turn the bolt till it touches then one full turn back