Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Am i being charged too much to repair my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i being charged too much to repair my tranny?

I have a t56 and my reverse was giving me trouble to go in, I mean i would have to push the fugger in and hear my car make a "cuhhh" noise and shake back and forth. So, I take my car to the shop and the guy thought it was the synchro rings. But its not. He now says its the linkage, the master and the slave and supposedly it took more than 20 hours of labor and that it was locked out.

And than he told me that I would probably need a new clutch soon so why no change it now while the tranny was cracked open andI was like.....

That ram clutch went in 13 months ago and my car only has difficulty getting in reverse once in a while. Im not changing it. And he said ...well i will try to elongate the life of your clutch and "tighten" the springs. Now tightening took another 2 days go figuire. But he said he wouldnt be charging me for that.

So is 842.00 for a slave, master and the labor to repair the linkage, take apart and put back my tranny a good price or am i a silly girl who got taken advantage of?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually that is a hell of a deal, if he actually took apart and rebuilt what was wrong with your tranny. There are shops that charge just $300 to take out and install your tranny. Say another $200 for the slave and master. Linkage I have no idea what it costs.

I had my t56 rebult for $1200 with stronger internals. My dad and I took out my tranny and put it back in. So we didn't have to pay for that.