Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replaced 02 Z-28 w Z06 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 02 Z-28 w Z06 Clutch

Just replaced a slipping clutch with nearly no initial engagement pedal left at the top on my 02 Z-28 with 48,000 miles with the current GM replacement which is the Z06 clutch. I also replaced the slave/throw-out bearing at the same time. There were some significant burn spots on the flywheel and pressure plate, and the clutch disc still had a fair amount of pad left - like maybe 40%. The shop's initial comment was I was riding the clutch. Never happened!

I do drive in a lot of Houston street traffice and downshift for braking on almost every stop (why I have a manual in the first place - my feeling is if you are not shifting you are just a passenger who is steering) so shifting is almost a constant activity for me. It was slipping some at the end and I suspect that is where the burn spots are coming from. I never went to the track and raced - not once and none on the street either. Not that I did not like to use the HP from time to time but no racing and never intentionally started from a stop at over 2000 rpms (messed up a few times though and slipped the clutch more than some). On some occasions, I have to slip the clutch a fair amount driving into the garage or other tight slow spots which can't be done in 1st gear or revers with the clutch fully engaged. Other than that most of my hard driving is with the clutch fully engaged.

If anyone has any comments on my clutch life, I would like to hear them.

Several others have reported that after replacing their clutches with the Z06, their initial engagement is at the floor and a few did not get complete disengagement for a while. Well, mine seems different. The initial engagement is a lot lower than before but still a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the floor. It does engage pretty quickly and firmly and the best I could tell it does not slip at all unless you push in at least 2 inches from the top.

Engagement at near idle is a bit grabby but at 1000-1200 rpm is pretty smooth. Since I have less than 50 miles on the clutch I am not trying any hard starts yet especially at elevated rpms so I haven't done any starts above 1200 rpms and not with much throttle at that.

Anyway, my experience seems a little different from others - is there something to be concerned about or am I within the normal experience band.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

i put the ls6 clutch kit in mine after 49k .. i now have 13k on the clutch.. Still going strong. and have since added all my mods below on it. No slipping, still engages where it did when i bought it .. And ive been to the track a few times, each time ,back to back to back hard runs... you should be pleased..
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I am not an expert...but on my 99 with 30K my clutch would slip under WOT...and had ot at the track a few times and everytime but the 1st it glazed and the pedal stuck to the floor. I just put in the LS7 and I saw the stock clutch/flywheel and my flywheel had the same thing...clutch still had some life too. I am willing to bet it was an hydro problem...so I had heat wrap put on the clutch line and had the drill mod done...where I replaced my master and slave with 01+. So I would say get the drill mod done and throw on some heat wrap or your clutch will just do the same thing considering you had the Z06 clutch to begin with.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the replies but I am still looking for some one who can talk about the low pedal on engagement. I was expecting it to be on the floor and not a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inchess off the floor which is down there but not as low as expected.

Also anyone getting the slight chatter on engagement at low rpms?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you talking about an ls6 clutch or the ls7 clutch? I have the ls7 and it engages pretty much like the stocker. Has just about the same pedal feel but grips much much harder. It engages about 1.5 inches from the floor. As long as it engages and drives fine I wouldnt worry about it. In addition, my clutch has very minimal chatter, only sometimes when it is engaged at low rpms, but thats about it.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

i too am having a small chirp when i first take off from first gear. Only seems to do it when i take off in the car, when i first start driving the car for the day. I have been reading forums to see if i have a problem, or just a noisy clutch engagment when things are not warmed up. I am not a clutch expert, so i have no idea if this is normal (gut tells me no). No other problems with any thing else, it shifts fine, i have the stock shifter, but not sure what my clutch is, i am the second owner, (nasty nate's old ride)
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all the comments, especially the last two are very close to my concern.

The clutch assembly installed was GM 12581650 which I believe is the current replacement for the LS1 which in turn is supposed to be an upgrade and I thought the same as the LS2 or Z06. I might be wrong about the specific model this is the current clutch assembly.

I am not getting any chirping that I can tell. I have a low rpm chatter or maybe it is just a little grabby and needs a little more breakin.

Otherwise it is very much like the original Clutch which had a pretty wide engagement range. It definitely engages quite firmly and I think will handle more torque.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the LS6 clutch can hold upwards of 400+ rwhp, which is pretty stout. From what ive heard the ls7 clutch can handle over 500+ rwhp consistently. One of my best friends is running an ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel in his H/C/100 shot 02 z28 and it holds fine and he beats on it pretty bad.

Quick Reply: Replaced 02 Z-28 w Z06 Clutch