Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what is happening to my clutch??!?

Old 07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation what is happening to my clutch??!?

ok, I took a buddy out last night in the SS and floored it on this road, when I was done, to slow down I downshifted, maybe thats my mistake...when I down shifted car was up to like 4500 RPMS....that scared me a little so I pushed the clutch pedal back in to slow the engine speed down and the cluth pedal was stuck to the floor...
two things I need to know:

is it bad to downshift like that , and to slow down should i just hit the brakes...I CRINGE when the revs get that high trying to slow down

AND...I have heard of the drill mod to fix this problem...but i was thinking, if i got a heavy duty clutch ie textralia, etc, will this problem go away as the performance of the clutch increases? i am also getting a 9", car is a street car not a strip car and is having heads and cam added soon..

THANKS
Old 07-09-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dood.. down shifting to slow down like that.... no no.... if you do down shift.. you need to bring the rev's up to match ... you're hurting your drive train and valve train.. USE YOUR BRAKES.. thats what they are there for.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
dood.. down shifting to slow down like that.... no no.... if you do down shift.. you need to bring the rev's up to match ... you're hurting your drive train and valve train.. USE YOUR BRAKES.. thats what they are there for.

i actually do bring the revs up...but hell yeah brakes it is, easier to replace those than driveline THANKS!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Teching In

my pedal used to always stick to the floor after hard accel. but i have recently installed a textralia clutch and new GM master and slave cyls. pedal has not stuck to the floor since. but i did notice the old clutch fluid had turned black and had little particles in it. so u may just need to bleed the system. i don't have any experience with the drill mod, i did not do it to my new master and have not missed a shift yet so my problem was probably just dirty fluid.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Teching In

its not badddd to downshift...just bring the r's up....but thats what the brakes are there for....

and about the clutch... what would solve your problem is not downshifting so hard that it is killing your drivetrain...and yes get a textralia...there awesome...even if its not a dragcar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is happening to my clutch??!?