Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder/t.o. bearing assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slave cylinder/t.o. bearing assembly

Ok pulled the tranny out to replace 3rd gear, syncros, shift fork etc. When we dropped the transmission the throwout bearing was coming apart on the input shaft. So i figured i would just go down to the dealer and pick up an updated slave cylinder and throw out bearing assembly. Except all the dealers are closed and will have to order the part on monday so i wouldnt have it until wednesday. Well I call around the local car parts stores and Car Quest has one for $120 and the GM part from the dealer is $135 when I checked last time i was there.

My question is there a difference between the two? I mean should I wait around and just buy the GM part or would it be ok to buy the CarQuest slave cylinder so i can get the car put back together?

Other question i have, im wondering if i really NEED to upgrade the master cylinder to a 01+ version while upgrade the slave? Opinions?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, you dont have to update the master. But I would wait to get the GM parts. Some times the other parts stores **** is just ****.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try NAPA. I used one of theirs and it worked fine.