Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will I need to bleed? Drivetrain swap...never unhooked the hydraulics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will I need to bleed? Drivetrain swap...never unhooked the hydraulics.

Hey everyone. I pulled the drivetrain out of a 99 Camaro. LS1/T56. When I did, I never disconnected the clutch hydraulics. I left the master cylinder and resevoir sitting on top the tranny while I was preparing it for install. The resevoir never turned upside down, and should still have most of its fluid. Alittle leaked out when I set it down. Now...the motor and tranny are installed. The master cylinder went right into place, and the resevoir is temp. bolted up top. Should I have to bleed the clutch system?? Or should it be good to go? Whats the easiest way to check to see if I need to bleed it...besides putting the car on the ground and trying to move it. Its not really going to touch the ground until everything is done...but Ide like to bleed the clutch now if I have ot do it. I dont want to just bleed it for the heck of it..only because I dont want to screw up and open up a can of worms or something. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!!

justin
Old 07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the reservoir never went low or the master nevers sat lower than the slave, it is doubtful you need a major bleed. It is a good Idea to do a vac. bleed( mitey vac) at the reservoir anyway. If the fluid is dark , its best to flush too. Be sure th insulate the master feed line from exhaust heat on the new install to avoid future probs.