Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Silly question on clutch reservoir cap

Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly question on clutch reservoir cap

There is a black piece of rubber under the cap. Is it supposed to be sticking down into the fluid a couple of inches into the reservoir? The inside of it is hollow. Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just searching for this info myself! I wasnt sure if the rubber piece inverted itself..like a brake master cylinder does sometimes ( on the older style masters). I have it in there sticking down into the fluid...and no fluid actually in the little "cup". Ive been lookin for a pic or something for awhile just to be sure before I try to move my conversion.

Justin
Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I searched for the purpose of this last fall. I know it does stick down into the fluid. I actually ran without it for a while but did not notice a difference. I am speculating that it allows air to makeup for fluid that goes into the master cylinder when you use the clutch, but does not allow any fluid to leak out of the small hole in the cap when it is sloshing around in there.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its purpose is to take up the space of where air would be in the master. Since it uses brake fluid, and brake brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) it eliminates as much air from the master as possible in order to prevent the fluid from absorbing any water.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, thanks. I am having some problems with shifting and before someone starts working on my car, I just wanted to check about this.

Last edited by 99zconv; 07-13-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Silly question on clutch reservoir cap