Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question about what clutch to get and Centerforce Clutch

Old 07-15-2006, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about what clutch to get and Centerforce Clutch

I have read lots about clutches the past few days on LS1tech.com..

But the truth is I only heard about SPec and Ram Clutches the most and I have heard nothing but bad things about the Spec Clutches...

I was considering a Spec, but after reading all that, I think I changed my mind..

Now My 2002 Camaros Clutch is slipping at times and has chatter which has recently been getting worse. So I think its time for a new clutch.

I am going to ask a few questions here and hopefully they will be able to get answered.

I have an SLP airlid and I am getting a Loudmouth Catback very soon.

Would a centerforce clutch be appropriate, durable and reliable for a new clutch replacement? How about after I get a 224/224 Cam, Pacesetter coated LT headers, Offroad Y pipe and Control arms as well as a short shifter?

I am going to also replace my flywheel. for an everyday street car, would a Billet steel flywheel that weighs 8 lbs less than stock be a better upgrade?

Basically Here are my mods that will be happening before 2007 arrives

SLP intake ( already have)
LM catback ( will have on in less than a week)
Centerforce Clutch ( plan on getting in a month)
as well as the steel billet flywheel ( 8 lbs less than stock)
as well as a B&M ripper short shifter
a couple months later a 224/224 cam or 228 cam with stronger springs, keepers, retainers and pushrods as well as a full exhuast (Pacesetter LT headers and OffRoad Y pipe) and of course a new tune( perhaps Diablo predator II)

and lastly maybe an aftermarket Torque arm or control arms..

Do all these mods sound like they will go hand in hand?
Is there a problem with any of them?
Is the lighter Billet flywheel going to give me a difference and will it work well with the centerforce clutch?
Is the centerforce Clutch a good choice for an upgrade?

More info about the car:
I race the car about 5-8 times in a 2 week period at the dragstrip....
I also have Nitto 555Rs on the Camaro and I have ran 8.33 @ 86.8 mph in the 1/8 mile 4 times in a row, with just my Nttos and airlid and some 100 octane..

Let me know everything there is to know with what I asked, if possible.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well answer me!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you will like the Centerforce...I got the 12" and am past the break in point and let me tell you that it grabs really hard....I like it much better than the stock one and there's no hesitation or quiver to it...
Old 07-16-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

i also have a centerforce dual friction in now... i first had the regular centerforce on my 99 ws6 trans am and it lasted over 60 k miles. some easy miles, some hard. i then switched over to my dual friction when i went with a new motor and so on.....(*the original centerfoce still had some good life left. the dual friction does grab much harder than the original but i do get a little bit more chatter in this one too. either way i think its a great product and you will be happy.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

oh, and if you do end up going heads and cam, or just cam, i would recommend a dyno tune and not a diablo programmer. good luck!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Default just get an LS2 clutch

so your talking about a clutch swap, check ebay for this item 150011948661. i put one of these in my car couple of months ago and it works for me, unless you plan on breaking the 400rwhp barrier for $100 it cant be beat. take that back after i paid for shipping and oil and 12 hours of weekend hell it cost me about $190 and a sore back for a few days but feels like stock with a little more effort. car revs slightly slower since the LS2 flywheel weighs more (12lbs) but its all a matter of opinion. buddy of mine said ls1's dont like centerforce again thats an opinion. just saying got an LS2 clutch in my car, which works fine for me, just another option for you that no one has mentioned. p.s. with the 01,02 cars, your stock hydraulics work with it as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 AM
11 Second Club

I dont think I want an LS2 clutch in there.. So far( besides 2 people ) I heard great thyings about the centerforce clutch. SO I dunno. Im probably gonna end up getting that. and a Billet Steel flywheel from SLP

Would they go well together?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

I have came down to 2 choice.. The centerforce clutch 12" which is cheaper than the 11" for some reason and I havent decided on the flywheel to use on this one.

or

the LS7 clutch with the LS2 flywheel. But I dont want the LS2 flywheel. Cant I use a lighter flywheel than the LS2 one?

BTW is what is the weight for the

LS1 flywheel?
LS2 flywheel?

and is there a list for the weight of flywheels?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

okay, but what about for the LS7 clutch. I want a lighter flywheel and I still dunno the weight for :
Ls1 flywheel
LS2 flywheel
SLP billet steel flywheel
and fidanza aluminum flywheel.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man don't get so damn stuck on the flywheel weight. The LS7 clutch kit with LS2 flywheel works great in these cars. That is the best combo for use with the LS7 clutch on our cars.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Man don't get so damn stuck on the flywheel weight. The LS7 clutch kit with LS2 flywheel works great in these cars. That is the best combo for use with the LS7 clutch on our cars.
Well I do want to improve my 1/4 mile times, not downgrade!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about what clutch to get and Centerforce Clutch