Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch/alum fw installed, might need adj master cyl.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 clutch/alum fw installed, might need adj master cyl.

I have over 2500 miles on my clutch/flywheel combo and am pretty happy with it. However, even with the spec shim I installed I still have a pretty low pedal that i have gotten used to. The problem comes when I try to shift into second gear quickly. Unless I've been driving it for awhile and the fluids hot (Royal Purple Synchromaxx) it sticks on the second gear shift. It doesn't grind, it just won't go in. I also have a weird sensation when I try to go into reverse sometimes. It doesn't just go over, it kind of pops in, like it has pressure on it.

Could my pedal be so low that it isn't fully disengaging the clutch? My tranny was rebuilt with all upgraded innards by t56rebuilds so there shouldn't be a problem there. I do have an 01 with a new slave installed.

Should I just go and buy an adjustable master cylinder, or should I try changing the tranny fluid with regualar GM synchromesh? I've heard that differant fluids have differant shifting tendancies. I am not going to drop the tranny again to add another shim, that's out of the question.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with Mobil 1 if that is the case. The adjustable master will help some but it sounds like you do not have enough seperation. The clutch pedal should be even with the brake pedal. How much lower is it than that?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-19-2006, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

Be cautious as the pedal seperation can damage the transmission if the clutch does not disengage all of the way. Make sure you have enough seperation and you might have to go with a different shim

Joe
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

It is also possible that with the shim installed he is over traveling the spring and causing the clutch to engage again.

I would try not pushing the clutch in all the way and seeing if that makes it shift easier. Gently of course.

Andrew
Old 07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

I think when he originally did the clutch he tried without the shim. I might be mistaken but his trans was done back in march or april I think and it was all installed then. He did call me a few weeks after that with an update. (Not sure as it is late and my brain is not working right now)

Thanks,
Amber
Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Actually, I ran with the shim right off the bat. I had mentioned that there is a member on this board that tried to get away with not using it and couldn't manage to get the thing into gear without it. Not wanting to do multiple pulls of hte tranny I just used it right off the bat.

I tried shifting while not applying full pedal and that didn't work. It'll shift sometimes, but not smooth.

Just sitting there, the pedal match up, but when releasing the clutch it starts to grap maybe an inch or two off the floor. When going to apply pressure to the pedal, there's a slight dead zone before you feel teh resistance of the pedal.

I actually like the grab point a bit, and thought that the whole point of the adjustable master was to be able to apply differant amounts of pressure at certain points of the clutch travel. I could be totally wrong (probably am ) but I figured this would let me bump up the pressure so that I get to keep the lower pedal but get more seperation at the smae height, due to the higher pressure at that point.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Just sitting there, the pedal match up, but when releasing the clutch it starts to grap maybe an inch or two off the floor. When going to apply pressure to the pedal, there's a slight dead zone before you feel teh resistance of the pedal.
Sounds like my pedal with a Spec stage II+. But my engagement is more like an inch of the floor and I'm using the shim that came with the clutch. I can tell my clutch is dragging I think I got air trapped in the master from doin the drill mod.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PlatnumStatuz
Sounds like my pedal with a Spec stage II+. But my engagement is more like an inch of the floor and I'm using the shim that came with the clutch. I can tell my clutch is dragging I think I got air trapped in the master from doin the drill mod.
I was thinking about trying to bleed the slave again. When I installed the clutch and slave I just did a gravity bleed for a few minutes. When I see all the problems people have trying to do it other ways, I don't know whether I did it better or just stopped too soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS7 clutch/alum fw installed, might need adj master cyl.