Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ws6store short stick install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6store short stick install question

I removed the **** and shifter boot, now at the base of the shifter where the 13mm bolts should be. There is a rubber cv boot type thing cover the bolts. I did not want to rip it, but how do you get to the bolts with it blocking it?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I removed the **** and shifter boot, now at the base of the shifter where the 13mm bolts should be. There is a rubber cv boot type thing cover the bolts. I did not want to rip it, but how do you get to the bolts with it blocking it?

Pull that boot off. Its a pain in the *** but thats how i've done it. The base of that boot will give some and you can bend it without it breaking. Just work it off and then swap the new stick on. Get the boot back on and you should be good to go.

BTW, to get that boot off, you're gonna have to take the console off but thats simple too. Two bolts inside the console.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Pull that boot off. Its a pain in the *** but thats how i've done it. The base of that boot will give some and you can bend it without it breaking. Just work it off and then swap the new stick on. Get the boot back on and you should be good to go.

BTW, to get that boot off, you're gonna have to take the console off but thats simple too. Two bolts inside the console.
ehhhhhhh, I bought this because I didn't have to take apart the center console. 5-10 minute install time my *** lol. You think it would be stated on the instructions.

Well, this looks like a weekend project. Was trying to get it installed before I go to work.

Thanks for info.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

ehhhhhhh, I bought this because I didn't have to take apart the center console. 5-10 minute install time my *** lol. You think it would be stated on the instructions.

Well, this looks like a weekend project. Trying to get it installed before I go to work.
You can probably just pry it up and get to the bolts, but its gonna be a pain to get a ratchet in there to really torque it down. Maybe some of these guys have done it that way.

I would recommend that you put some locktite on the threads and really torque them down, otherwise the first time you really get on it and slam some gears, it will start rattling. I've had this happen to me a couple times, then you have to take the console off and pry that boot out to fix it.

Total, shouldnt take you more than about 25 minutes.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

The boot is a pain in the ***, but it shouldn't take more that an hour or so to comlpete the project.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Is the short stick really worth all the hassle?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think so.

Honestly, its not as bad as it sounds. You can have your console off and get the short stick on in 25 minutes if you just get after it. I guess when you have to write about it, it seems like more of a hassle, but its not bad at all.

Just do it
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I was able to put mine in without removing the center console. I actually over torqued the nut, stripping the thread out of it. So it can be done without removing the center console. As for the rubber piece I was able to remove that without damaging it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Just cut a little bit of the rubber boot off. I had to do that to put my 5.0 shifter in.

*Edit*Are you putting in a shifter or just the stick? If it's just the stick then why would you have to take the rubber boot off?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

what rubber boot? I had none?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rubber boot that fits over the base of the shifter and bolts to the car to keep the heat from the tranny off your legs.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rubber boot that fits over the base of the shifter and bolts to the car to keep the heat from the tranny off your legs.

that boot didn't go over the part of the shifter that I had to remove..maybe cause it was a factory installed hurst?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
that boot didn't go over the part of the shifter that I had to remove..maybe cause it was a factory installed hurst?
Yeah, with the factory Hurst, you should have a gold piece of shifter left sticking out of that boot. Here are some pics from my install. 5 - 10 minutes easy. Couldn't you just push the boot down around the shifter to get to the bolts? I find it odd that a non-hurst shifter would have the boot covering the shifter bolts. But I've never seen inside a non-hurst console, so they might. Good luck.

--> http://www.geocities.com/mrmtransam/shifter/
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MRMTransAm
Yeah, with the factory Hurst, you should have a gold piece of shifter left sticking out of that boot. Here are some pics from my install. 5 - 10 minutes easy. Couldn't you just push the boot down around the shifter to get to the bolts? I find it odd that a non-hurst shifter would have the boot covering the shifter bolts. But I've never seen inside a non-hurst console, so they might. Good luck.

I'll take some pics of mine tomorrow, but the boot does cover the shifter holes. I tried pushing mine down, but couldnt get it over the bolts. I may be a ***** though.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks for the instructions man, very nice. I've got my short stick on the way now and I feel confident I'll have it done in a matter of minutes.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Launching!

I have a factory hurst shifter. At least I think I do. I have the H on the ****, and my shaft is solid black and has hurst imprinted on it. And the boot is above the bolts.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be a ***** though.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a factory hurst shifter. At least I think I do. I have the H on the ****, and my shaft is solid black and has hurst imprinted on it. And the boot is above the bolts.
That doesnt sound like the stock hurst shifter. Like the link posted above, the stock hurst has the stick bolted on ABOVE the boost. I installed the 6" WS6 store stick on our stock hurst in about 10 minutes. I dont remember ours saying hurst on the stick itself either, but i could be wrong.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JulioJr
Thanks for the instructions man, very nice. I've got my short stick on the way now and I feel confident I'll have it done in a matter of minutes.
I received my short stick from WS6 today and I am happy to report that I LOVE IT, it took me less than 5 minutes to install (thanks to you guys) and I have never been able to shift from 2nd to 3rd with such eaze. You guys are geniuses, thanks for the info.