Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grind, and popping out of reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grind, and popping out of reverse.

1st gear, 2nd gear, 4th gear and 5th gear all work fine.

when i put the car in 3rd gear there is a grinding noise and i can feel the vibration or the grind in the shifter.

and when i put it in reverse and start moving, more than half of the time it will go CLUNK and pop out of reverse, and i cant put it back in for a few seconds, and if i try to put it back in right away, it grinds like crazy.

anybody know what the problem is? because this is making me miss 3rd alot, because if i am driving hard, not neccesarily power shifting or anything, it will go into 3rd and sometimes spit it back out, making me miss the gear. or sometimes 3rd gear bitch slaps me and the stick wont even go in at all.

and now that i think about it, if im in way upper rpms, say like 5700+ and try the 1-2 shift, sometimes it wont go into second either, but that rarely happens.

someone please help. thanks alot.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reverse spitting back out at ya happens a lot. my trans just got rebuilt last fall, and it's always done that. the 3rd gear problem. most likely you need to get the forged 3-4 shift fork. depending on how many miles you have, which if it's shifting rough or not at all like you say, you're probably looking at needed a fresh re-build on your trans
Old 07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

thanks alot matt.

well tonight, the peddle got soft, then stuck to the floor. annnnnnnnnd it stunk really bad. i think its gone.

what do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like time for all new hydraulics as well! my buddy has a 98SS very similar to mine, and his pedal started to stick to the floor too...so we're gonna be doin an LS7 and updated hydraulics soon on his car...i have the LS7 clutch in my car and i love it...there's a place out in Wixon that's really really good with T56 rebuilds, they're not a sponsor so i don't think im allowed to "say" who they are or whatever....but if you need a rebuild i spent $1362 on mine, and that was with a new input shaft and gear cluster...that alone was like $800
Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

this is starting to sound expensive.

so do you think i need a new clutch, a rebuild and all new hydraulics? gah!

looks like its time to find a second job. lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like it's time to put the car up on jack stands, pull the trans and see what's up! yeah F-Bodies get expensive sometimes...