Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch hydraulic problems!!! need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch hydraulic problems!!! need help!!!

so ive pulled the tranny 3 times and replaced the slave cylinder twice already since i bought the car in november...its an 02 T/A, bone stock...

1st tranny pull - slave cylinder started leaking, so i pulled the tranny and installed a new slave (Luk from autozone), new CF DF clutch, and new TOB (also from autozone). worked great for about 2 months...TOB came apart...

2nd tranny pull - installed new TOB...

3rd tranny pull - next day after TOB install...clutch went pretty soft all of a sudden and tranny stuck in fourth very quickly after. another new slave goes in, t56rebuilds rebuilt my tranny (thanks for the great service guys), new pilot bushing...

a couple of weeks later normal driving down the highway, i go to shift and the clutch pedal stays on the floor...i get the car home, jack it up and find the bleeder valve somehow mysteriously opened on its own. i bled the clutch and made sure it was tightened. now a couple of weeks later (about a month after the last tranny pull/install) im about to pull the tranny again for a leaking slave cylinder. sat night i was driving down the highway and i got a low/soft pedal so i took it home immediately to see what was up (i thought the bleeder valve might have loosened again). bleeder valve was tight, so we started bleeding it. 20 minutes of bleeding later, clutch fluid starts pouring out of the bellhousing...****, another slave...

what do i do...im so frustrated with this clutch, i love the m6, but im really close to doing an auto swap and just be done with it. somebody help, im at a loss as to what i should do...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should have done the TOB the 1st time you yanked the tranny and did the slave.

Rule of thumb is to replace the slave and TO whenever replacing something else wrong with the clutch to avoid situations like this.

Id say give it one last go and upgrade to an aftermarket master, 01/02 slave and brand new throwout.

When my slave went out I said F it and replaced the master,slave, TO, clutch disk, PP and flywheel. Havent had a problem yet *knock on wood*
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I have been having a soft pedal as well, sometimes sticking to the floor. Replaced everything 40k ago. wolfy: where is the bleed valve located for the clutch? thnx
Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

I have been having a soft pedal as well, sometimes sticking to the floor. Replaced everything 40k ago. wolfy: where is the bleed valve located for the clutch? thnx
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jb007
drivers side of tranny, just above the clutch line qick disconnect. i have to use a small 1/4" ratchet with a short 7/16" (or 11mm) socket.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know exactly how you feel. I had to drop the tranny and replace the slave 4 times in 6 months with my car. Also replaced the clutch, pressure plate, TOB, pilot bearing and pilot bushing.

I would replace the slave and drive the car for literally 2 days before the clutch lost pressure again. In my case, the first time the slave went out, the dealership I bought the car from replaced it. Apparently they decided to put another transmission in it, or they replaced the input shaft, but the shaft they put in the car was from an LT1 instead of a LS1. The input shaft was about an inch and half too short and thats what was causing my problems.

I don't see this being your problem, but I can sympathize with you on the frustration. Hopefully you get your problems worked out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: clutch hydraulic problems!!! need help!!!