Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help - Dealership cannot find transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help - Dealership cannot find transmission problem

I took my car into the dealership for warranty work. I told them when the car is cold it will grind in 2nd and 5th for about the first 10 minutes of driving. It doesn't grind every time but I know it is not caused by me. They found no problem with the transmission but were more than happy to tell me my pinion seal is leaking and the fuel injectors and throttle body have carbon buildup. I told them I would take care of that. They call them a Stealership for a reason right?

So guys what can I do in this situation? I know something is wrong with the transmission but the dealership don't think so.

BTW, my car was bone stock when I took it in. I put all of the factory stuff back on it.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

drive them yourself and let them hear the grinding noise
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 396D1SS
drive them yourself and let them hear the grinding noise
The problem with that is it might not mess up with them in the car. It happens about every other day it seems.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Well after playing phone tag with the Warranty company all day today, I am taking the car to another dealership to get checked out. Hopefully some progress will be made this time.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the slave might not be allowing the clutch to engauge/disengauge properly. I would try bleeding it & if that don't fix it, mention to them you think they need to check the slave & the rest of the clutch hydrolics.

Not just the transmission.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dyosis
Well after playing phone tag with the Warranty company all day today, I am taking the car to another dealership to get checked out. Hopefully some progress will be made this time.
What dealership did you take it to? Hudiberg?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, it sounds like your clutch hydraulics might need a good re-bleed (to eliminate that possibility), and it sounds like you could use a little better trans fluid, unless there is actually something mechanically wrong, which could be the case as well. The first two are the cheapest routes though...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

I took it to Hudiburg first and they didn't find a problem. I have a Diamond Chrysler extended warranty so I ended up taking it to David Stanley Dodge after talking on and off with the warranty company all day yesterday. Supposedly if they find the problem and the Dodge techs cannot fix it, I could possibly take it to Blumenthals, which is what I am shooting for.

I did change out my tranny fluid but it didn't seem to help very much. Does anybody have a writeup on how to bleed clutch hydraulics?

The weird thing is, when I know the tranny fluid is warmed up after driving 15-20 minutes, I am able to drive around pushing the clutch 1/2 way in and change gears without a problem. I figured that was a good way to check out the hydraulics, but maybe I was wrong.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Well first off your tranny fluid isn't goin to affect how the clutch shifts. It is contained in the transmission only. Your clutch hydrolics are completely seperate. If you know the tranny fluid is good, look at the clutch hydrolics.

Go get a mity vac & bled it. They cost $30 @ O'Reilly's & then you will have one for future clutch swaps or brake bleeding. If you search mity vac you will find what you need to know.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well first off your tranny fluid isn't goin to affect how the clutch shifts. It is contained in the transmission only. Your clutch hydrolics are completely seperate. If you know the tranny fluid is good, look at the clutch hydrolics.

Go get a mity vac & bled it. They cost $30 @ O'Reilly's & then you will have one for future clutch swaps or brake bleeding. If you search mity vac you will find what you need to know.
Thanks for all the help, I'll look into getting one. Are the clutch hydrolics more apt to act up while "cold"? Like the first 15 minutes of driving? That's when I seem to have the most problems.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

if your clutch fluid is burn it could happen. Check it to see if its black. If it is you will need to bleed it the old fashion way so you can flush out all the old nasty clutch fluid.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Sounds to me like the slave might not be allowing the clutch to engauge/disengauge properly. I would try bleeding it & if that don't fix it, mention to them you think they need to check the slave & the rest of the clutch hydrolics.

Not just the transmission.

I agree here. I was having some major grinding problems and I ended up replacing the clutch and hydrolics. Turns out the master cylinder was bent @ a 45* angle. That was the culprit right there

Quick Reply: Help - Dealership cannot find transmission problem