Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny shifting problems...need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tranny shifting problems...need help

OK, I've searched and done my homework on this, but it's driving me crazy. At first, I thought it could be my synchronizers going out, but a few of my buddies have driven the car and we may have ruled that out. I'll try to describe this the best I can so here it goes...

1-2 shift seems like it wants to "hang up" right before it goes into second...it "almost" feels like the skip-shift is trying to throw it in 4th. It does this at any rpm basically so it's not just high rpm shifts (any rpm that the skip-shift light isn't on anyway).

2-3 shift doesn't seem that bad at all, but seems like it wants to hang up right before going into gear.

All other shifts are OK and there is NO grinding at all through any shift... the clutch feels ok and feels like it is engaging and disengaging fine. Daily driving the car is awesome and there is no problem. If the car is parked or just idling, you can shift through any of the gears with the clutch in fine, no noise and no hanging up. I'm going to invest in a skip-shift eliminator sometime this week, so if I find out anything I'll post up. Another member on here also had this problem, so maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Any advice/help is very appreciated.

No drill mod on this tranny, but I was wondering if it would help...What is it going to take to get a smooth shift out of this thing?

Last edited by 2k1bird; 07-31-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM
wrencher

Willing to bet it is a hydraulic issue.
On skip shift the solenoid only denies the 2nd gear gate.
Sop 3rd being notchy it is not an issue.
I would look into that.
Try to double pump the clutch pedal & see if it shifts different.
Also do fluid changes on the trans & the clutch + the drill mod, if it hasnt been done. Thats just maitence anyway....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go through a hydralic system bleed operation. Sounds like you may not be fully releasing the clutch. Start there its the cheapest thing you can do , as well.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I bought the car used, so I'm not sure how it was treated before me, but I'll try some things today and see if it gets better.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

yeah ive driven this car and when u shift from 1 to 2nd fast it just doesnt want to go in. But its like u said u can double clutch it and it does fine. i had mention something once before about the fluid. i think that could be part of the problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines doing the same thing. it doesnt want to go into 2nd unless you slow it down or push the clutch in again. I also loose the clutch whenever I powershift or beat on the car. I gotta pump it up. Im just gonna buy a new master,slave, ls7 clutch kit and flywheel. I think that should fix it.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

OK, just wanted to post back up and give some updates...I guess there's nothing wrong with the car. A friend of mine drove it and hit 2nd so hard the nittos were making the clutch slip, so if anything is wrong at all, I need a new clutch. He was shifting a little different than I was, I couldn't believe just changing a shift technique could improve things so much. I'm sure a few other people have had this problem so I'm sure I got lucky with nothing being wrong with it. Looks like a new clutch is my next investment soon.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k1bird
Looks like a new clutch is my next investment soon.
Good to hear. Go w/ the LS7 Clutch all the way.

When your trans is out, have the shop peek in the trans to look for anything peculiar, like shavings in the fluid etc.