Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 rebuild suggestions?

My t56 is getting harder and harder to get into 1st and R from neutral and going into 3rd first doesn't help a lot.

first of all, does this sound more like a clutch hydrolics problem?

anywho, I am considering a diy rebuild this winter and I was wondering what parts I should order up. Mainly, it just feels extra notchy when shifting and about once a week, it will grind on a 1-2 or 2-3 shift. and of course, the 2-3 shift is crappy since I ground it up at the track a long long long time ago.

I searched and suprisingly didn't find too much info.
I also email t56 rebuilds to see what they wanted to sell me.
TIA
Old 08-02-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you really have a crappy set- up. As long as you drive it in this state , you will generate more cost in the repair department. I would suggest a parking ....and full system analysis. Do what you like but driving a poor system will just cost more in the end.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
wrencher

It does sound more like a hydraulic problem. That has a huge effect on the shift feel.
What exact year is the car? Has anything ever been replaced?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a 98. It has a spec 3.
I swapped in a USED 02 master +drill mod
and a NEW 02 slave
The master is questionable since I never really felt good about the clutch bleed. I used a mityvac and air just never stopped coming out.

I guess it's pretty obvious I need a new master. If my clutch is slipping in 4th, a new master can't help that can it? as I understand, the clutch hydraulics are all about disengaging the clutch so a new master won't help it grip right?

Last edited by kenkaru; 08-05-2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I must have been very tired when I originally posted.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by kenkaru
It's a 98. It has a spec 3. I swapped in a used 02 master, new 02 slave and drill mod but the slave I put in was questionable since I never really felt good about the clutch bleed. I used a mityvac and air just never stopped coming out.

I guess it's pretty obvious I need a new master. If my clutch is slipping in 4th, a new can't help that can it? as I understand, the clutch hydraulics are all about disengaging the clutch so that won't help it grip?
Ya a new master would be a good idea.
But your right it wont help keep it from slipping, something is not right & that clutch will have to come out.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

mine would not stay in 4th. sent to to be rebuilt and they couldent find out why it was doing that.

they blamed it on the hydrolics
Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow my last post was confusing AND retarded. I'm gonna edit it.
bad6as, How are you liking the LS7 clutch?
Joe at t56 rebuilds said he had some issues with a few of them but I haven't got all the details yet.

wrencher, thanks for confirming my thoughts. I'm suprised you understood wtf I was saying the first time around!

Quick Reply: t56 rebuild suggestions?