Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Black fluid/sludge coming from inside bellhousing, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black fluid/sludge coming from inside bellhousing, HELP!!!

Did my cam/valvetrain/FMIC install and when I was under the car I noticed a black fluid/sludge that apears to be coming from inside the bellhousing. I also found a long piece of black paper or rubber kinda stuck in the small gap between tranny and bellhousing. It hasn't been leaking long, or maybe it's just a small leak, because it only blew a small amount under and on the side of the tranny. Anyone have any idea what this could be?? Rear main or even a tranny front main maybe????? This really has me really worried now. I wiped it all clean and i'll see if anything leaks or drips while it sets for few days. Everything is running and working fine. I checked the oil and it's still full. Once I'm completely finished with the FMIC install I'm going to take it for a spin aroung the block a few times and see if it leaks any more. I just installed my new clutch and mcleod adj. master about 3 months ago (or so) and I had to re-bleed the system, which caused ALOT of fluid to leak into the bellhousing. Could this possibly be the rest of that hyd. fluid finally coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

Last edited by Turbo T/A; 08-07-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm noticed the same issue on my ss the other day!! would also like to know what the problem could possible be? just out of curiousity i check the lower bolts on the tranny and they did tighten up just a bit.

anyone have a clue of whats going on here!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo T/A
Could this possibly be the rest of that hyd. fluid finally coming out?
Yes, it could.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just make sure you have fluid in the resovoir and check your tranny fluid.

If both of those are good, id bet its exactly what you think. Old fluid finally leaking out. Probably got cooked which is why its sludgy and black.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

I'll check both the fluids. I really hope it's something easy like that. I'll post what I find later. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Black fluid/sludge coming from inside bellhousing, HELP!!!