Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tight fit on crank bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight fit on crank bearing.

I just installed a new Centerforce clutch on my 96 and when I reinstalled the trans the last 1/2 inch or so was a rather tight fit. I figured I may have dinged the bronze bearing when I pulled the trans in the first place,but thenI read anotherpostand aparently it's ok to pull the last 1/2 inch or sotogeher with the olts evenly?

Before I put it all back together, is this going to be OK?

Last edited by Dr. Teeth; 08-08-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the resistance your getting, is the slave cylinder compressing slightly. I have installed my trans, but pulling the last little bit with the bolts.. Ill put in 4 bolts, basically one on each corner, and try to tigten them as even as possibly, and havent had any problems with the trans, or clutch.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Some of the resistance your getting, is the slave cylinder compressing slightly. I have installed my trans, but pulling the last little bit with the bolts.. Ill put in 4 bolts, basically one on each corner, and try to tigten them as even as possibly, and havent had any problems with the trans, or clutch.

Well, since mine's an LT1, the slave sylinder is not on the trans input shaft. I have a clutch fork, and the slave sylinder was unbolted from the car. I am starting to think that maybe I buggered up the pilot bearing.

Tonight I am going to get back under there and have my wife hold the clutch pedal down, while I am turning the ouput shaft with the car in gear, engine off. I surmise that if it turns freely then the disk was maligned slightly and I am fine. If not, I'm up ****'s creeek and need a new pilot bushing....

Any thoughts on that?