Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Effort During Shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Effort During Shifts?

Now that I've got the T56 swapped in its like learning to drive the car all over again. When you guys are running through the gears hard how much effort does it require to actually pull a shift? I've driven three T56 LS1 F-Bodies and all of them were a little notchy which slowed my shifts down and required me to really slam it into the next gear. Are you guys shifting smooth with a light grip on the shifter or are you really clutching the shifter and slamming the gears?

FWIW the three setups I've driven have been...

Stock clutch, stock T56, aftermarket Hurst shifter, LSS
McLeod single disk, stock T56, aftermarket Hurst shifter, angled SS
Spec 3, T56 with synchros and steel shift forks, Pro 5.0, angled LSS

The mainly stock setup was pretty notchy and it was a new experience to quickly shift a notchy transmission. I couldnt pull off split-second shifts like I could in other cars that weren't notchy like that. The McLeod with the Hurst shifter was a bit less notchy but not by much and I had similar results. The T56 with the upgraded synchros and the Pro 5.0 is the least notchy but it still noticably "clicks" out of gear and into the next.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

From my experience with the T56, thats just the way the transmission is. Its a beefy transmission, not like those "snick-snick" import trannies that you can shift with one finger.

It takes some effort to shift, but not an unconfortable amount by any means. As long as your shifts are deliberate and direct (especially into 5th), it will go right into gear. However, if you get lazy and don't push/pull the lever all the way through its complete throw, you'll find yourself somewhere between your desired gear and neutral. And for reference my, my setup is a stock T56, stock LS1 Clutch, and Pro 5.0 with the standard stick.

I think no matter how you shift it, you always get the gear-neutral-gear pause/click between each shift. Its just the way the transmission is designed. The only time I don't notice it is when I slam 2nd gear really hard/fast, since I hardly give it time to pause between the shift
Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed just cruising around town when i'm shifting alot and not revving high or trying to put effort into it, it is very notchy feeling. When I am really going through the gears and revving high like toying around or at the track, I don't notice it at all, it's smooth as butter.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

my spec 3,pro 5.0 with a short stick seems very "notchy"and i can hear it engage or "click" but i don't mind,haven't missed a gear with the 5.0 yet,i couldn't say that with the stocker.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98BanditWS6
As long as your shifts are deliberate and direct (especially into 5th), it will go right into gear.
Is 5th gear notoriously tricky to get into?? I just got the T56 swapped into my car last night, and I have noticed driving the car so far (taking it easy right now) that 5th can be a pain to get into on the first shot? I've had to fiddle with it a bit to get into 5th (so I'm not sure if it's ME or the tranny?? ) Everything else seems fine though.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

i get the same "click", and this is 1994 technology so i guess the LS1's inherited the same trans attitude. im thinking the "click" is the driven gear spinning a little bit and sliding into the gear you selected.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Its not missing gears thats an issue, its that the shifts are as fast as I would like. I can only "let" the transmission cooperate with me so much and to make it go any faster I really have to muscle it into gear... and its still not a quick as I can shift my daily driver bone stock 95 Dodge Neon with the stock trans, clutch, and shifter.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The drill mod will allow better shifts.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Is 5th gear notoriously tricky to get into?? I just got the T56 swapped into my car last night, and I have noticed driving the car so far (taking it easy right now) that 5th can be a pain to get into on the first shot? I've had to fiddle with it a bit to get into 5th (so I'm not sure if it's ME or the tranny?? ) Everything else seems fine though.
What kind of shifter do you have?? The stock one or the stock Hurst??

If you have either of those then that's most likely your problem, go with a Pro 5.0
Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have a pro5.0 and a LSS and if Im going slow, and just sliding into gear with three fingers, I can feel it click out of gear and HEAR it click into gear. If Im slamming gears, I always powershift, so I dont feel anything but the thud of me hitting the stop on the shifter
Old 08-15-2006, 03:40 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

damn, mine aways feels the clicks going into gear, i can shift fast, but im slowed down a lot by waiting for it to go into gear, i have a stock hurst with a ws6 store short stick
Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98BanditWS6
What kind of shifter do you have?? The stock one or the stock Hurst??

If you have either of those then that's most likely your problem, go with a Pro 5.0
I've got the B&M Ripper. I'm wondering if maybe 5th gear synchro is going bad? Although it shifts perfectly fine from 6th to 5th, but 4th to 5th is sticky?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

I've got the B&M Ripper. I'm wondering if maybe 5th gear synchro is going bad? Although it shifts perfectly fine from 6th to 5th, but 4th to 5th is sticky?
If the synchro is going bad, it will block you out of gear (basically you'll go towards 5th, and it just won't slide in) or it will grind as it goes in. Mine grinds on the way in if I shift quickly.

Firs thing I would check though is the shift boots. If you try and use the stock rubber shift boot on the Pro 5.0 or B&M shifters, it binds up and prevents you from getting into certain gears. The stock boot needs to slide down around the base of the shifter, so it blocks dirt from coming in the car fom the bottom. If you put either the stock boot or the Hurst boot around the shifter stick, it binds up and makes it shift like crap. I tried using the Hurst boot on my Pro 5.0, and it was terrible.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

If the synchro is going bad, it will block you out of gear (basically you'll go towards 5th, and it just won't slide in) or it will grind as it goes in. Mine grinds on the way in if I shift quickly.

Firs thing I would check though is the shift boots. If you try and use the stock rubber shift boot on the Pro 5.0 or B&M shifters, it binds up and prevents you from getting into certain gears. The stock boot needs to slide down around the base of the shifter, so it blocks dirt from coming in the car fom the bottom. If you put either the stock boot or the Hurst boot around the shifter stick, it binds up and makes it shift like crap. I tried using the Hurst boot on my Pro 5.0, and it was terrible.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem isn't anything to do with the boot ... I drove around with no boot at all (no console or anything!) and it still occurred.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found if you have the stock stick with the rubber isolator, there is enough slack given by the isolator to make you think you are in gear when in reality, the rubber has given the same sensation as going into gear.

Since getting the WS6 Store Short Stick, I can say I haven't had an issue with gear selection. Each shift is fairly certain that I am in a gear. It's not really a click, mine gives the sound like you are sliding wooden blocks into place.

Fifth is so easy to get into from fourth, it's the 2-3 shift I've had issues grinding, need the drill mod asap for my clutch.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SladeX

Fifth is so easy to get into from fourth, it's the 2-3 shift I've had issues grinding, need the drill mod asap for my clutch.
Mine often grinds into 3rd gear as well, but I'm not so sure its the clutch. Its usually only when I shift too quickly that it grinds, so I tried a couple things to see if it was the clutch not disengaging fully:

If I floor the clutch and shift quickly, it grinds. So from there I determined its either the clutch not disengaging fast enough, or the synchro is bad. If I shift slowly, no grind. Probably not the clutch.

Then I went down the road, floored the clutch, waited 5 seconds, and shifted quickly into 3rd. Grind. So its not that the clutch isn't disengaging fast enough, but it could still be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. However, it doesn't feel like the clutch is dragging, and the issue seems to get better (less gears grinding) as the car warms up.

So its most likely either the synchros or the clutch, I'm thinking synchros based on how it acts
Old 08-15-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

My shifting used to be really clunky, then I got a new shifter that felt nice and smooth. After awhile it feels like it gummed up or something... before I could wiggle it side to side w/o ANY effort, it used to slide into gears like a dream come true. Then it got gummed up and feels just like it did before. Maybe I need to clean the shifter? Maybe the rubber boot slid up and is not letting it move around?

Shifting is very clunky, I hate the clunk/clunk going in and out of gears...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta do the drill mod, and get my new clutch in, I'm tired of missing gears.