Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wrong Flywheel!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrong Flywheel!!!!

I recently did a rebuild on the ls1 engine and installed new clutch kit. I later found out the flywheel that came in the kit was the wrong size. I since then received the correct flywheel however the tranny is bolted to the block. Is there enough room for me to back the tranny away from the block and reinstall the flywheel or do I have to drop the entire tranny? Since I pulled the motor last time, not sure if there is enough play to just back the tranny off? TIA
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

just installed a trans for the fourth time on an f-body car. It would be pretty difficult to get it up there. However the hard part would be trying to torque them to spec (I believe its 74 ft lb) with >2". Besides you dont want to have you trand hanging onto your motor by your input shaft.....can cause some peoblems
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

What if I back the tranny off and lower the front half to the ground but keep the tranny mount stuff in tach?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like a bad idea to me.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Will
What if I back the tranny off and lower the front half to the ground but keep the tranny mount stuff in tach?
Definately a bad idea. Trans could slide off, bend input shaft, death.... or all of the above. plus how the hell would you retorque everything.... i bet it would end up taking longer than just yanking the trans out completely.