Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need shims between the flywheel and pressure plate??

Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need shims between the flywheel and pressure plate??

We have a ram hd clutch that is giving us fits. No matter what we do it won't disengage the whole way. We've put on an adj master and you can feel it disengage very high now but it's still not disengaging the whole way. We used a stock flywheel for the install. We pulled the tranny last night. We're going to replace the slave while we're in there but I thought I remembered reading on here that some people have to shim the pressure plate off of the flywheel. I'm not sure if it means anything but if you lay the pressure plate upside down and lay the disk on top and then run a straight edge across the disk is definately higher then the PP if that makes sense. Should we shim that to get it closer to even. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you should've recieved shims w/the disk/plate(the Ram's are adjustable).
You'll need a dial caliper and measure shim thickness/install accordingly to get the proper clearance. Once you get it right(had to do mine three times before I got it where I wanted it)you'll be golden.

As the disk/PP wear, you can remove shims to get it back to initial install height.
FWIW, when I removed the M6, the HD was grabbing as hard as it did when I first installed it w/out ever re-shimming-
Old 09-03-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

The only shim we got with the clutch was the one for behind the slave.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not get any shims either. Mine was a Power Grip (not HD). My car drove for a year before mine started dragging. I have a new slave, but I need a break from the heat/humidity to install it. Maybe a couple hours a night this week........................
Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

You DO NOT put shims between the flywheel and the pressure plate! This will reduce the preload on your spring and cause the clutch to wear out very fast. The shims are supposed to go behind the slave to properly position it in relation to the fingers of the spring.

Andrew
Old 09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You DO NOT put shims between the flywheel and the pressure plate! This will reduce the preload on your spring and cause the clutch to wear out very fast. The shims are supposed to go behind the slave to properly position it in relation to the fingers of the spring.

Andrew
mine was shimmed between the PP and flywheel when i pulled it apart.my buddy said he called ram dozens of times and that's how they told him to do it.i think he doubled up on the shims.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone know how to measure what size shims are needed? We got no directions with the clutch.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Anyone know how to measure what size shims are needed?
ttt
working on the same thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need shims between the flywheel and pressure plate??