Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Getting ready to install the 5.0, any tips I need to know about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to install the 5.0, any tips I need to know about?

I finially got my Pro 5.0 and my lou's short shifter the other day and I'm ready to install it today. I've read the write up on installuniversity web page and it does a good job of explaining everything I need to know really. But I've read that some people say not to use the RTV silicone gasket maker. They said to get a gasket maker to help with the noise that the shifter makes. Also I'm kinda confused about the stop bolts. Does the Pro even have stop bolts or not? Thanks for any help
Old 09-03-2006, 02:42 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install university/ls1howto.com sites are good. Step by step, with pictures and a good explanation of what to do, and where all the bolts/screws/etc are.

I use RTV on the base of the shifter and I think it's fine. You could go the extra mile and make a gasket but I guess it's up to you. A nice bead of silicone does the job fine. Mines not loud IMO.

The T56 has internal stops. The Pro 5.0 does come with stop bolts as well. I use them just because they are there. I don't even bother to drive the car and adjust them though. I just set them visually a mm or two in front of/behind where the internal stops are. Then just go through all the gears and make sure there's no interference.

I use all the stock rubber insulators as well. I just made the hole on the factory one big enough for the Pro 5.0 to slip through. This helps keep the noise level down as well.

Make sure you use some blue loctite on the shifter handle threads. That right there is a must.

Rob
Old 09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks Rob, that gave me a better idea of what to do. Now what exactly do I do with the rubber boot when I get the shifter in, do I pull it up around the base of the shifter? And does the color of locktight matter. I believe I read a different color in another thread.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try not to cut the boot if you can.Some install sites show that and it makes a very clean install but if you want to go back to your old shifter the hole in the boot is too large.I used medium strenth threadlocker(blue) cause its what I had.Had to remove my Pro5.0 cause it was sticking-not returning to neutral when shifted out of 2nd (bought it used).
If I remember right,you have to cut the boot or there will be a clearence problem.If so cut as little as possible. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also try:http://www.ls1howto.com/
Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssmaro
Thanks Rob, that gave me a better idea of what to do. Now what exactly do I do with the rubber boot when I get the shifter in, do I pull it up around the base of the shifter? And does the color of locktight matter. I believe I read a different color in another thread.
I didn't cut the boot at all. I used some silicone spray and forced it right over Pro 5.0 shifter handle. You don't have to use it, but it definately helps if you have a can of it laying around.

I like to use blue (medium strength) loctite. Red is strong stuff, and it's really not necessary. All you're trying to do is avoid the two allen bolts from backing out.

When I first installed the pro 5.0 I didn't use any. The top bolt ended up backing out one day at a stoplight on my way to work. Use some medium strength stuff and call it a day. It's a pain to take out the allens later on if you use red.

Rob

Quick Reply: Getting ready to install the 5.0, any tips I need to know about?