Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter Installation?

I ordered a new Hurst Billet Plus shifter. It should be here in a few days. I was planning on just taking it somewhere to have it put in, But ive heard it isnt really that hard to do. Who has installed their shifter themselves? I looked at the sticky at the top of this section for a corvette, but im still unsure. The part that im unsure about is where the shifter goes into the transmission. Is there a linkage that i have to worry about? Or is it just something that pops in and out? I know i have to take the top of the center console off which is only two screws. Then I need to unbolt the shifter base. Now after that, does it just come right off? All info will be appreciated
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I have a 2000 Trans Am
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know if its the same or not but i have pulled my shifter out of my 02 z28 several times. Its not hard at all. There are 2 screws at the front of the console that hold it to the dash that need to come out. Then you take out the ash tray and underneath it should be another screw that needs to come out also. Next open the console and there should be about 3 more screws in the bottom of that. I think that is all the screws that must come out although i'm not for 100% sure. But if there are any more it will be pretty self exlpanitory.

After all the screws are out unscrew the shifter **** and pull the emergency brake all the way up. Then start working the console out and up slowly. Before totally removing the console you need to unhook the two "quick connects" that go to the power sources in the console. After those are unhooked the console can come out.

With the console out of the way take out the small screws that hold the dust cover to the floor of the car. ( they require a 7mm). Next take out the 4 bolts that hold the shifter on to the tranny and you are good to go! Scrape off the RTV gasket sealer and re-apply some new RTV and install the new shifter going using those same steps just in reverse.

I'm sorry if i confused you with my write-up but it is honestly VERY self explanitory and easy to do!

Good Luck!
Brent
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 09-05-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

There are no linkages to worry about. Once you take the 4 shifter bolts out, the shifter comes right out. You might have to rock it a bit because the sealant around the edge might try and hold it down.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

It's not that bad really. Just take off the entire center console (2 7mm bolts under coin tray, 2 or 3 10mm bolts in compartment area, 2 10mm bolts towards the front of the console on each side and 1 10 mm bolt under ash tray area) along with the shifter boot and ****. Then all you have to do is unbolt ~10 7mm bolts holding the rubber boot covering the shifter, and finally the 4 13mm bolts holding down the shifter to the tranny. After that it just pops off and you place the new shifter in its place being sure to put the shifter ball in the white cup and put everything back together in the same order.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx for the help guys!