Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can't shift for SHIT after heads/cam install!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't shift for **** after heads/cam install!

So before the heads/cam I could shift what I would consider to be extremely fast. Not powershifting as in not lifting off the throttle, but speed shifting. On the gas, off the gas, clutch in, next gear, clutch out, and back on the throttle as quick as possible. With only bolt-ons and not even all of them at that, the car was running 12.3s@112-113.

Fast forward to tonite. I just got the heads/cam installed at the end of last week and had it tuned on sat. It made 445/398. Since the first time I went WOT after the new setup my crisp, clean, fast shifts were gone. I found it alot more difficult to get it out of gear, and even harder to get it into the next gear. Plain and simple, my shifts were slow

I am running a Textralia clutch with about 9-10k on it. It has NEVER showed even a hint of slipping, and consistantly chirped 4th at the track on DRs. But the signs I am getting remind me of the stock clutch after the full exhaust, where it just didn't want to shift like it should.

Also I can tell that the motor torquing over is making it seem awkward to tag the next gear as precise as before. It's like as soon as I am ready to make my move, the tranny itself is moving back into normal postion since I am momentarily off the throttle, and I am left with the shifter feeling out of place as I go for the next gear.

I haven't been grinding the gears, just being blocked out of them. I guess the first thing to do will be flush and re-bleed the hydraulic system with fresh fluid. Other than that what about some stiffer motor/tranny mounts? Any and all insight would be GREATLY appreciated. In this case, less would be more, cause I was faster with less power cause of the crap shifting
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on where the rpms are when you go for the next gear.. if theyre still too high, then i'd say lighten the flywheel. if theyre not, lighten it anyway, and shift faster. light flywheels are the best.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Shift-lite is set at 6600. Maybe I'll try it back at 5900 where it was with bolt-ons and see if it shifts smooth and fast again......Just to see of course, cause 5900 would blow with this new setup.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Noone else has had shifting problems after a pretty good bump in rwhp???
Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I'm sympathizing with you here Brian. I think motor/trans mounts are the answer. I think once you hit a certain level of power you've got some much twist in the drivetrain that it makes precision shifting go to crap.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I'm sympathizing with you here Brian. I think motor/trans mounts are the answer. I think once you hit a certain level of power you've got some much twist in the drivetrain that it makes precision shifting go to crap.
Yeah man, I think it could be a good part of the problem. I am going to see what some guys with higher HP setups that are running 6 speeds are doing and go from there.

BTW, it was awesome meeting some of you guys last weekend. I had a great time and hope we can all get together again sometime.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Banned

bled ur hydraulics. and see where that puts you.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

I bled and bled and bled some more to no avail. It is acting just like it did with the stock clutch and bolt-ons when it wasn't up to par. I take off, stomp it in 1st, I go for 2nd and it's pretty decent, go for 3rd and it doesn't want to go, blocks me out for a moment, then goes. During this time I can notice the clutch get softer, and I lose approximately 1/4-1/3 of peddle travel. If I drive it normal, it feels 100% fine. When it DOES go into gear, it doesn't slip.

I'm lost on this. I really don't think that it's the hydraulics. It would be too much of a coincidence for it to start acting up at the EXACT time I added the heads/cam. I am starting to think that the friction plate is trying to adhere to the flywheel, and that's why it won't release as fast. Cause after I added the TEXtralia to the EXACT same master cylinder setup while I was only bolt-ons, it was perfect. Now, with more power, it sucks again

I'm going to be completley pissed if this clutch can't perform with an average heads/cam setup. I have only had it for 5 months and about 9-10k. It has never seen slicks or hard clutch dumps (stock 10 bolt) so it hasn't even been used to it's claimed potential.

Still looking for someone to point me in a new direction of something to try......
Old 09-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmm...if you do the motor mounts, all I'm gonna say is good luck. Hardest install I've done

It would be a step in the right direction though...
Old 09-09-2006, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Is the clutch fluid getting hot mabey you removed the heat shield or bent the line closer to the block or exhaust after the heads cam package?? Im just throwing out some ideas. I say trans mount for sure tho my tranny used to walk to the right before the poly trans mount under wot, now it stays in place.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the ideas guys. I didn't touch the line, heat shield or anything to do with the clutch or hydraulics at all during the heads/cam install.

I don't see why it would be getting hot now, it was fine before this. But I just flushed the fluid and re-bled it for good measure, and it didn't help at all.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

does it feel choppy going into 3rd and up?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by @nthony
does it feel choppy going into 3rd and up?
What do you mean by choppy?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Does your clutch fully disengage? In first gear, with the clutch pedal depressed, you should be able to spin your motor to the rev limit without the car creeping ahead.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

as youre going into gear does the shifter kinda "chop" the gear?

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
What do you mean by choppy?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drill mod done to master?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Thanks for the ideas guys. I didn't touch the line, heat shield or anything to do with the clutch or hydraulics at all during the heads/cam install.

I don't see why it would be getting hot now, it was fine before this. But I just flushed the fluid and re-bled it for good measure, and it didn't help at all.

With a big power increase comes a big increase in heat output from the headers. It's well known that too much heat will cripple your hydraulics. Probably worth a try to insulate the lines. At least it's fast and cheap.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Drill mod was done when the car was stock.

I insulated the line a while ago, heat shield still in place, and I have the line routed as far away as possible.

The clutch is perfect until I call on it to do it's job, no creeping like aforementioned. As far as the "chopping" I still don't understand what your getting at, but it shifts fine at normal or even mild acceleration, but when the revs are up, forget it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe the trans is gettin tired?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get motor mounts and a trans mount if you don't already have them Brian.

Best of luck man, I hope you get it figured out man. I wanna know what it runs at the track!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't shift for SHIT after heads/cam install!