Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave cylinder over exstending, how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up slave cylinder over exstending, how to fix

some of you probley read some of my post of me pissin an monning about my slave cylinder going out, well i found out what was happening with the help of Fred at McLeod hydralics. The master pushs fluid down to the slave into a resevior, then it pushs the slave into the forks of the clutch,compressing it. Well if you run a after market clutch or a highperformance clutch, sometimes the slave has to over exstend to push the clutch in. Why you ask does the slave have to over exstend? Because as you know every clutch is different an so is the distance from the slave to the forks. If so the slave well start to lose fluid, like i was doing an the rubber seal well come out an then the pedel goes down to the floor,again an again. The only way to fix this is messuring the distance you have between the slave an clutch forks. This is how, with the tranny out an new slave in, messure from the front of bell housing to the slave(you can use a straight edge to do this), but you must have slave fully compressed, so lets say that messurement is 4". Then you messure the distance from the forks to the back of the block(you can do this with a straight edge) lets say that is 3.5". Well then you just subtract the two an you get the distance between the slave an the forks witch is 1/2". Which is not what you want, the ideal space between the two is a 1/8" to 1/4". So to fix this problem you need a big cylinder to go into the slave. I know Fred has them an can help you figure this out. You can also go to summit racing, they have the McLeod slave cylinder, part #1373. McLeod #714-630-2764 ext#236 an ask for Fred.
Also when you buy a clutch from a performance place ask if it comes with shims or if it well work with a stock slave, cause trust me taking your tranny out 4 times to replace a slave, SUCKS.
If i need to i can post up some pics on how to do it, if i didnt exsplain it good enough. please let me know an thanks for everyones help.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

can you make this a sticky, people may have problems in the future, plus gives them a better understanding on how the hydraulic work.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Launching!

come on tell me what you think
Old 09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Thank's this will help on my clutch install next week. I wonder if I will need a special slave/shim for a Textralia Exo Skel.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Launching!

The Ram HD powergrip pressure plate and disc comes with a shim. The old clutch I had was also a ram but was without the shim and led to an early failure (after 8k easy miles).
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Launching!

exactly thats what happens when you put a aftermarket clutch in, it can lead to early failure.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

my new Ram Powergrip HD came with a shim also.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Launching!

this is why you guys arent having problems, i bought my spec4 used so i had no idea it was supposta have shims.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rudy, you should have researched the product before you bought it is all. Then you would have known what all was needed for the install.

I have tried to stress this to people over & over. I know its time consuming but in the long run the more you read & research the products you would like to buy, the better off you will be after the purchase.

Clutches usually only cause early failure if there is a manfacture defect or they are installed improperly. Hence your case, you just forgot the shims since you didn't know about them. Suck it took you this long to get it straightened out.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

is this not worthy of a sticky, id say it is.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

I doubt they will make it one. Main reason I say that is b/c this problem is bein caused from improperly installed clutches. Not a "actual" slave issue.

Most will argue that if it had been installed with the proper shims in the first place that the problem would never had happened. Hence it makes it the installer of the clutch the source of the malfunction.

Not tryin to talk down to you or anything Rudy, just tryin to give you a different perspective on the issue you were having.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

thanks mike i complenty understand what your saying, an thanks for your input.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

No problem man. I wish I had thought to ask you sooner what clutch you had installed. We could have figured it out way sooner probably.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Launching!

yah no kinding, i could of fix it the first time, instead of pulling out 4times because of the same dam issue