Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch is slipping time for a new

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch is slipping time for a new

Well, the car has around 45,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping (1st owner of the car wasn't very nice to it, & i've been to the drag strip twice only raced one time each.)

Anyways it's starting to slip and I figured i'd bite the bullet and go ahead and get another one. I'm pretty sure the stage one clutch would be efficient, I have a couple of questions though:

1. Getting the stage 1 clutch, do I still need to buy the flywheel? What all is needed for a new clutch?

2. I like how the stock clutch is easy, one the spec stage 1's is it similiar feeling to the stock clutch yet more durable? If not what would you guys recommend?

Suggestions please?
Thanks,
Caleb
Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the LS7 clutch set up put in my 2002. It feels like the stocker from the foot, yet is more on the grabby side. I'm trying to get some miles on it before it goes to the track. We'll see if it'll hold a 120 shot or not.

You've got a 2001, so the hydraulics should be good to go. If your flywheel is in good shape, you can have it resurfaced. Otherwise plan on getting a new one. If you do decide to go with the LS7 clutch, then you have to replace the flywheel anyway.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your plans for the car and how much power the clutch needs to hold. If you plan to stay stock I probably go with at least an LS6 clutch. If you plan to mod, the LS7 would be a good choice. Both should be near stock feel.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Well, right now i'm a year from graduating and as you all know; power goes up mileage goes down non-the-less modifications to a car are expensive alone. For right now i'm satisfied with what my car puts out. After I graduate I will be entering the army for at-the-least a contract of 4 years and will not be planning on pushing major power out of the car.

So the ls6 clutch would probably be good? I've driven a z06 of my friends and it was kind of hairpin..You had to let it out half-way then the slightest bit more would make the car grab, where on my clutch just right after it starts going, but starts slipping later.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Launching!

get a tex from byunspeed that way you wont have to worry bout your clutch for a while