Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Output shaft seal question!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Output shaft seal question!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try and replace my output shaft seal again on my 98 Trans Am to see if that will fix the fluid leak. The problem is I went to the parts store to get the seal and they showed me a seal that looks different than the one I bought last time. The one they showed me is:

The rubber piece is about two inches long and the one I have now that is leaking doesn't have that.

The one I have is like this:

The "head" of it that fits on the transmission is the same but it doesn't have the rubber piece.

I am wondering if they gave me the wrong one last time or what, I am not sure if the 93-97 transmission seals will be different than my 98 T/A seal. I am thinking either they gave me the wrong one last time or this time they are trying to give me the wrong one.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

There are actually 3 different styles of seals that will work. The ones that stick out, like the first pic you posted tend to leak more IMO.
I normally use the small flat seal, which is also used in the Mustang T5 and F-body T5 5-spd, AND the 4L60E. They are all the same. Hope this helps!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Well I went up to the parts store and after about an hour they couldn't find it so I did find the one in the first pic, I am going to try that, I used the one in the second pic last time so I figured I would try something different.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mustang and Camoaro/ Firebird seals are different. Same goes for T5 &T56 along applications. I think you are struggling with an older non-booted seal. That outer boot is just a stone shield and does not really affect the sealing quality.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:21 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Yes, the seals are all different from the factory. However, the aftermarket seal that most parts stores sell fits all applications (T5 and T56 trannys). I never even realized this until I had been building trannys for 2yrs.