Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Hazed Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch Hazed Over

Once a clutch has been hazed over is it possible to revive it. I took mine out and noticed it has a haze over the pressure plate, the cluth was slipping after 2K miles and 30 track passes. I think from slippin the clutch hard it hazed it over. What should I do? Would it be a good idea to clean it off with some carb cleaner and reinstall it.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people have taken a grinder to glazed brake pads to remove that layer. But I have no clue if that would even work (or be smart to do) on a clutch. Depending upon how bad it is hazed, you may be able to wear the layer off over time with some gentle and normal usage. Avoid heavy slipping under power for a while and see if it gets better and grippier.

That haze is formed from the clutch friction material melting and when it cools it is smooth and has filled in any voids so you actually lose friction. Sometimes that glazed layer is harder than the friction materiall and therefore hard to wear through. I am purely basing my comments here on brake knowledge assuming the clutch would act in a similar manner.