Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter problem? please advise

Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter problem? HELP

I have finally found a car that I want except it has a small problem and I just wanted to hear your opinions. The owner of the car says that the car has problems engaging in some gears, I think he even said specifically gears towards the right (5,6,R) more than the others. The clutch was replaced and gone through by a tranmission place in his city recently and he had them check out the transmission to see if it was synchro's or anything else. He says that they told him it was the shifter, something about some plastic or some plastic ***** were worn and a new shifter would fix the problem. I have no reason to believe he's lying just really wanted to hear from you guys because it's a big purchase and yada yada.

So does the shifter sound like the problem or is the trans screwed no matter what shifter is on there? It has the stock Hurst shifter and if it is just the shifter I'll just buy a Pro 5.0 for it and go on. Please let me know.

Last edited by demo3k; 10-13-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that the shifter is the root of that problem as there are no plastic ***** in it.There is a plastic socket the shifter fits in that can wear but this would affect all shift gates. It is very easy to call him on it = get a good std shifter and install it. You should be able get a std shifter near-free.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah good call that's what I'm thinking of doing..

Search this Thread