Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pro 5.0 install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pro 5.0 install question

I bought the car with the shifter and i finally took off the console to see which one it is. Its a Pro 5.0 Power Tower (I see why its called tower damn throws are long) but the words are upside down and located closest to the ac switches. Is this the correct position? Ill take a pic and post it up if that will help
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Yes thats correct.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thanks, I thought the previous owner installed it backwards
Old 10-21-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a question myself in regards to the shifter. The gold round part that sits on top of the shifter (Silver Part) and the bolts and the nuts that are on there loose at the top and bottom of the gold part? Do these need to come off? Its mostly installed short of the rubber part that goes around the shifter and the console itself. The directions are pretty shotty considering these shifters are based off of Mustangs.

Any help to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Pipe
Old 10-21-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I have a question myself in regards to the shifter. The gold round part that sits on top of the shifter (Silver Part) and the bolts and the nuts that are on there loose at the top and bottom of the gold part? Do these need to come off? Its mostly installed short of the rubber part that goes around the shifter and the console itself. The directions are pretty shotty considering these shifters are based off of Mustangs.

Any help to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Pipe
This should help:

"Now, check your stop bolts. These are the 2 bolts that come from the top and bottom of the shifter and stop the stick. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. You need to make sure the shifter FULLY ENGAGES each gear with about 1-2mm clearance off the bolts. If it doesn't, adjust the bolts so the shifter has the full range of motion. There has been debate whether these are needed in the first place, so I just backed mine off the whole way and tightened the bolts down with pliers so there was no way possible they could get in the way. Removing them all together is a valid option as well. If I had to do the install all over again, I'd remove them. "
Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

^ I pretty sure they're there to prevent breaking the shift forks.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

they are to help prevent it takes a little bit of adjusting to get them perfect also i would look into the spring mod on this its posted here somwhere it makes it shift alot smoother i always use to miss the 2-3 shift with this shifter. then took it back off put the good ole hurst back on and boom never once missed a gear once but that is soley my opinion
Old 11-08-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you serious? The sole purpose of the Pro 5.0 is to help not miss the 2-3 shift... I dont even think about it...I just push the stick straigh forward. It finds 3rd every time, smooth as silk. I have trouble gettin into 1st sometimes...but I dont believe that to be the shifter's problem. i just have to go into first at a certain speed...or once completely stopped. Or else it gives resistance.

But Im curious about the 'spring mod" that you speak of... Because if anything, Ide like to make mine even alittle tighter. I.E. snaps back to neutral harder.

J.