Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pressure plate bolts!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pressure plate bolts!!

how do I tell if my preure plate bolts are backing out or not, and how serious of an issue is this??
Old 10-15-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

If all of them are backing out, it's very serious.

What makes you think they're backing out? Did you bolt up the pressure plate yourself? If so, did you torque to spec, and use the proper torquing sequence? If you did, I don't see how the bolts could be backing out. If one of them is, the remaining bolts should be able to hold the assembly together, provided they were torqued to the correct spec, which, if memory serves, is 52 ft-lbs.

If all of your bolts are backing out, you've got problems, and you'll know it immediately. Your pressure plate will back out as far as the bolts let it, and you'll have nothing keeping your clutch disk between your pressure plate and flywheel. Disengaging the engine from the transmission will become impossible. You'll hear all kinds of interesting noises. I've never really looked at this, because I've never thought about pressure plate bolts backing out, but if the bellhousing allows the pressure plate to back out far enough so that the pressure plate can back off of the flywheel dowel pins, well, I don't even want to imagine the mess that would make. I think the bolts backing out would give you plenty of problems before things got that far, though.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the disc wont go anywhere. it's held in by the transmission shaft
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by white99
the disc wont go anywhere. it's held in by the transmission shaft
I could have worded that more accurately. Yes, the disk will stay on the tranny shaft (which, technically, IS between the flywheel & pressure plate), but with the pressure plate backed out, shifting gears should be a real experience. The disc won't go anywhere, but I doubt it'll do anything, either.

Quick Reply: pressure plate bolts!!