Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Conversion Install - Moves with clutch in

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Conversion Install - Moves with clutch in

I finished up my T56 install yesterday and was going to take her on a trial run today. I'm using a LS1 T56 with a Mcleod 8710-10 SFI bell, clutch, and PP along with ATS OEM modified hydraulics.

The problems (probably related):

- I can't get it in gear with the car started
- If I kill the engine the tranny slides in gear easily, but when started the car creeps in first or reverse with the clutch pushed in

I can hear the throwout bearing pushing the PP fingers with the engine off and pushing the clutch so I know their is movement. I was in contact with Tyler(ATS) throughout the ordeal so I know everything went in correctly and smoothly. I was told no adjustment shims were needed for anything, just slide the tranny in through the clutch/pp and hook up the hydraulics.

This is my first clutch install, but not first manual. I'm not sure what could be wrong. I'm going to grind the welds off my clutch stop and remove it in case I have it stopping it just before 15/16 inch.

Any other ideas if it's not the clutch stop?

Thanks,
Kerry
Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

air in the hydraulics, bleed, bleed, bleed, and bleed some more
Old 10-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

okay, I pulled the clutch stop out of the equation and it still wants to creep in gear with the clutch all the way in. It also will not go into gear with the engine running.

It seems I may be pulling the T56 to fix this. Any ideas on whay I'm looking for? I spent 3 days putting it in slowing checking everything twice so I'm not sure what I will be looking for that could be the problem.

Kerry
Old 10-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Is this a two person job? I'm by myself today and don't have a vacuum bleeder. The stuff came prebled, so I'm suprised that it needs to be bled again.

Any links on how to do it? What fluid is used in the hydraulics?

Kerry
Old 10-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Using a mityvac, is this the preferred way?

http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm

The above link doesn't open the bleeder screw on the slave, but it appears by his description to bleed the system anyway. Is this way safe? I'm asking since their is a disclaimer on the webpage.

If the above way is not preferred. Do I just open the bleed valve on the slave and pull with the mity vac keeping the resevoir full? From my reading, the system used DOT 4 correct? If so, I will have to go buy some since my car uses DOT 3.

Kerry
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

same thing happend to my car... some idiot test drove it when i was thinking about saleing it.. an i couldnt get it into gear when it was started.. it just creeped into gear. but when i kiled it. it went in great. a couple diff ppl told me the slave cylinder blew up.. an some others told me it needs to be bled.. the clutch pedal is redicilously soft. i havnt done it yet. but tomarrow i plan on bleeding it an checking it out. il let you know what i figure out.

Quick Reply: T56 Conversion Install - Moves with clutch in