Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch break in, disengagement was high now low, is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch break in, disengagement was high now low, is this normal

car 2001 z28

I just installed new hydraulics(master/slave), did the drill mod, and installed a new clutch (pressure plate, friction plate and flywheel)

The new system was installed properly and bled completely/properly.

Now the clutch has about 2000 miles on it. The clutch is a aftermarket performance clutch (I will not name the brand because I dont care to hear people opinions of the clutch brands).

The clutch was driven nice in stop and go traffic for a break in period of the suggested 500 miles and an additional 1000 before applying full hp.

During the first 1500 miles the clutch pedal would engage high off the floor properly disengaging the clutch, now after the last 500 the pedal engagement is significantly closer to the floor ( about 2" off floor) The clutch still disengages fine.

Another change that I noticed, is when I first installed the clutch, it gave my leg a bit of a workout from being a very strong clutch, now it takes less effort to push the pedal in. Yeah I know I am used to it, but it is definitely easier.

Is the two things I describe normal once a clutch is broken in?
I have changed clutchs before but it was always stock for stock and I dont remember such a huge differnce once broken in.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

update...

yes the clutch works fine for disengaging and engaging but what worries me, is when I first installed the clutch and for the last 1500 miles the pedel engaged about 5" off the ground, it engage high. Now the pedal engages almost immediatly off the ground, about 1".

I'm doubt this is normal at all. Thank god the clutch is under warranty still.... I really think the thing is just worn..

I was shipped a bad clutch maybe... unless someone knows what else can cause LOW CLUTCH PEDAL ENGAGEMENT!!

Last edited by ibanez7; 10-21-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might not be getting the throw you need out of the slave. Is the clutch fluid level stable? Have you tried bleeding?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

the fluid level looks good, but I have not checked the level with someone pumping the pedal.

I am going to bleed the system again, its just hard to imagine why it would need to be bled again, when I bled the hell out of it at install.

The biggest bummer of it, is the last time the car was driven was a week ago and it felt fine. Then the car was parked in the garage and I drove it yesterday and the clutch pedal was shot.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've noticed that my clutch will get a little "squishy" after the car sits for more than a few days. Usually a bit of driving takes care of this though, especially if I wind it up a bit. Your noticing that the clutch was a bit tight at first install is a bit wierd. Most aftermarket clutches don't have any significant difference in pedal pressure.

I know you don't want the opinions to start flying, but who made the clutch? Some aftermarket clutches need shims, and this could be part of the problem.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

I know this is old but have you fixed the issue.
I have fixed a few cars with the normal pedal then a sudden very low pedal.
The cars I repaired all had loose pressure plate bolts