Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave Cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slave Cylinder???

When I am at a stop with the clutch is in, I can sometimes hear the "clunking" noise that I posted about a little while ago. Sometimes, I have to play with it a little to make the noise happen, like say, clutch 2-3 inches off the floor, and clunking may accure. When it is in neutral, and clutch released, no noise, so it ONLY will make noise when the clutch is pressed.

Keep in mind that the car still drives, and goes into gear ok. But when I get on it, and speed shift, or launch (even slip with high RPM) It wil clunk, and kind of "skip" a bit.

Also, that "purring" and "clicking" sound when it is in gear, and driving, is much, much louder than it was before, allmost like the Throwout bearing is shot.

Every one I speak to says whole slave cyl, what do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ladys and gents, with the help of some friends, we pulled the tranny out yesterday, to find out that the slave was pretty much fine, and the cause of the nasty, "jumbling" and vibrations, was a dead pilot bearing. I replaced the "bushing" style one with a Roller bearing, and even threw on a new throwought just in case. If anyone is suffering from a vibration and or clunking/rolling noises when the clutch is being used, consider a bad pilot bearing. The car would make noise if I was rolling and applied the clutch all the way to the floor. I suppose with no stress of the clutch holding the input shaft stiff, it was able to bounce around in there. I am glad I caught it when I did. Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder???