Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tips for a noob driving in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips for a noob driving in traffic

this is my 4th z28 but my first 6-speed. how should i go about driving in traffic when i only have to move a little bit at a time. i want this clutch to last. thanks p.s. i already know how to drive with a six-speed, but i dont know what is good and what is bad for a clutch.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

slipping is bad, fully engaged is good. Just try to have as less slippage as possible and it'll last longer.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

If it is bumper to bumper.. just let the clutch engage sllooow without getting on the gass and it should creep.. haha thats what i do. in upward hills too(with a lil gas).
Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. Its a sports car and much easier to work on than FWD. Slipping the clutch at idle is probably the least damage you are doing to it.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

jsut learn how to drive it. These cars have a heavier flywheel I assume(then 4cyls) becasue I barely slip the clutch at all. When i slip the clutch the rpms stay at 800-900 and i just let it out real smooth and fast. it seems to work, with 80k on the stock clutch..with 20-25 passes at the strip. Not saying your stock clutch will last that long, but it seems to work. These cars are really easy in traffic to ebcause of that. Clutch is a little heavy, but i have strong legs. Never cramps up or anything.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

what exactly is "slipping" the clutch?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

launch off idle is your best bet, you'll feel it grab and at that moment you can give it some gas. I'd also wait till the car in front shows he's going to move for more than a car length as your clutch leg will get tired really fast from trying to launch 6 times for only 10 feet of travel... also in stock form idle 1st gear is really damn slow crawl, so the longer you can use it to inch forward before having to release the clutch, the easier it is on your leg. 3.73 or higher gears make stop/go even easier.

If you rev it up then clutch drop it like a 4-banger driver would you're doing a lot worse because our clutches are much larger and store a lot more energy which ends up being translated into heat which is bad for the clutch unless doing a drag launch. Continuously doing this in traffic is bad.

Also bad is slipping which is not allowing the clutch to engage completely and revving the car until it moves. Also creates a lot of heat, bad for stop/go traffic.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually stay stopped so a small gap forms in front of me. I can then release the clutch with no gas and let the car crawl along. If I time it right I never need to stop (depending upon the lights). If I drive like the rest of the morons who crawl 2 ft at a time, my leg gets tired and I get sloppy.

Originally Posted by mcG
what exactly is "slipping" the clutch?
Slipping the clutch is when you are getting into the gas before the clutch is fully engaged. You always slip the clutch a little when you start moving, but excessive slipping will cause additional heat and glazing if the clutch if you go crazy. If you have ever revved it too high when starting off and then smelled that burning clutch smell, you just slipped your clutch (too much).
Old 10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for your input

Quick Reply: tips for a noob driving in traffic