Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission swap question

i just got a 72 camaro and it has the 4-speed manual transmission. i really wnat to put a T56 in it but i think i will have ot settle for a t5. i see all of these t5's on ebay for mustang and only a few for camaros. is the only difference the length of the input shaft? i know that i will have to relocate my shifter and get a shorter driveshaft.

do you know of anything i would have to do in order to make it work from a mustang? or even if they are the same transmissions.

thanks all

also, does nayone know of someone who wants to get rid of their transmission?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just save up a little more cash and do the T56 you dont want to hassel with swapping makes and models of transmissions plus the T5 is crap unless you spend some money on it
Old 10-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Teching In

i heard that the T5 "World class" is suppose to be good. but i think you are right. i will save a little more. at least i hope i can control myself long enough to. i guess i could just go get one for a third gen Z-28 or something
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Save for a T56. T-5 is a weak transmission, especially out of a Mustang. 4 banger T5's are geared lower, but can't handle any torque. The stock 5.0 Mustang T-5's are crap too. The reverse is also not synchronized either. World Class T-5 is decent, but I know a guy with a 340 rwhp Stang that went through one already. If you're going from a Mustang, I think that you'll need a different input shaft, bellhouing (duh), possibly some driveshaft work, and pilot bearing. Nice thing about T5's is that they're everywhere and parts are not that high. If you gonna get a T5, get a Tremec, but with that money you might as well go the T56 route. They're not perfect either, and if you don't watch yourself, you'll be going through synchronizers like tires (especially if you "skip" gears. Just speaking from experience- hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

yeah that really helps. thanks guys.

i think i am going to place a bid on this tremec T5 on ebay. he only wants like 350 shipped. and its already got the conversion stuff done to it. it came out of his nova with a 350 and it was rebuilt not too long ago. i really dont want to spend the 1500-2000 on the T56
Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I bought I T56 on ebay a week ago for $650, you just have to shop around to find a good deal.