Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Reverse...sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Reverse...sucks

Ok ive had the T56 in my 92' camaro for over a month now and its fun and works properly for the most part. Well reverse has always been troublesome for me. A lot of people said i needed to hook up the reverse lockout as thats why its so hard to get it into reverse. Well today i removed the solenoid all together and even though it made it ALOT easier to push over and up it still has not fixed the problem.

The problem all along after forcing(using 2 hands a lot of time) the shifter over past the solenoid when it goes up i have to normally hear a "click" and then reverse works. Lots of times the click isant a smooth/firm click and then the shifter will pop out of reverse and grind.

I dont think this is reverse lockout related because now i dont have one and it should not affect the actual gear at all(other then letting it be a lot easier to push over).

Like i said i have to here a "click" then i know its actually in gear, - is that common? Do you other guys with T56s have to here a click all the way at the top when you push it in reverse?

I was hoping that was solenoid i was hearing but its not since i removed it today. I plan on getting it back in once i buy the right connector then hooking up a switch to engage/dis-engage the solenoid.

Any help will be much appreciated.

-Steve
Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I have had this same problem, but it doesn't happen frequently so I have never worried about it, and it hasn't gotten worse.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does the reverse gear have a syncro?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

yup, and yours is bad
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 AM
Teching In

I dont have the T56 tranny but im my stang with the T45 i put her in 1st pull forward a few inches and then ease her into reverse, works everytime.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to back out of my garage everytime I take out my car, reverse on the stock clutch was weird, but I'd have to either get the clutch in a few times else it wouldn't solidly lock in, or I'd have to put it in first move the car then get it into reverse.

If I didn't have the positive click into gear, then it wasn't in gear and it would make a light grind as I let off the clutch slightly. I would say the grind would happen 1/10 times I had to back out.

With the LS7 clutch and updated slave I have gotten it into reverse perfectly since.

Unfortunately for your case whenever any gear pops out or gets stuck, it's time for replacement parts.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have the T56 tranny but im my stang with the T45 i put her in 1st pull forward a few inches and then ease her into reverse, works everytime.[/QUOTE]

yes my t56 is the same way. i bought the tranny new and reverse has been that way ever since.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem but its seems that my shifter doesn't always want to go far enough to the right for it to actually go into reverse, so i end up in 5th about 40% of the time... could this be a shifter problem or is there something else to it???
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

gotta love spendin $1300 on a broken tranny.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

i have a 98 vette and sometimes i have that problem. when i do i just go to 4th or 6th then it will go right in after that.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by straitwangin
I dont have the T56 tranny but im my stang with the T45 i put her in 1st pull forward a few inches and then ease her into reverse, works everytime.
Same here, and I have a T56. Thats normal in most tranmissions, sometimes you have to go to 1st before you go into reverse in order for it to go in smoothly. That way the reverse lockout is completely disengaged, if you try to get into reverse from most other gears it won't let you in.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Well mine used to act like that because of the slave didnt have the proper shim to be able to fully engage the clutch. New clutch along with shim fixed that problem
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine sticks a little bit, but for it to engage reverse i have to be at a standstill. im assumming that is normal. when your having this problem your car isnt rolling is it?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

rolling or not rolling it doesnt matter it always has the problem. Seems to work better rolling though.

How do i know if i need to shim the clutch or slave cyl? i have a Mcleod ST. Sometimes i think its not engaging the clutch all the way because with the clutch if rolling i keep pulling it out of third and jam it back into third like a lot(back and forth) i hear a small clunk...this is with the clutch in so normally you should'nt hear anything? The car has always been a little hard to put in gear but i figured this was normal. Also used to have a problem grinding 1st to 2nd when shifting fast but that has gone away, figured it just took some time to break the clutch in all the way. I dont know what to think, this tranny and clutch setup is used and it was the first time i have ever done this swap.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have this problem as well only it is not a clicking it is a good clunk. If it does not do the clunk it is not truly in reverse and it can pop out and grind.

I rebuilt my t56 myself and everything is fine except for this. And it is a new reverse gear, the tranny used to do this b4 the rebuild too. I hate this problem. And I am starting to beleive that it is the reverse fork that is possibly bent a little and not engaging the reverse gear fully.

In my opinion it may be the reverse fork that is not being replaced and is commonly overlooked. But I am going to try talking to a shop owner i know to confirm what other possibilities it could be. And lucky that reverse is in the tail end of the tranny and can be accessed without dropping the whole thing. I wish I could say I trust taking it to amoco to fix it for me but i dont so I guess I will have to eat chit under the car once more.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i do get the clunk too...sometimes itll be in partially and itll clunk clunk clunk then pop out...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry to bring up a thread from November, but I used the Search to locate a similar problem I am having with my Z06 and fighting to get it into reverse. It goes over and the reverse lights engage but it is like arm wrestling Hercules to get it into gear. Sometimes I push so hard I think I am going to rip the shifter right off...

Was there a general consensus on this, since the place we got the Z06 threw in a 40,000 mile Major Guard GMAC warranty and every consumable and part on the car is covered. Alas the last thing I want to do it have my new baby sitting at a dealership for days or weeks, I want to be driving it!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the reverse sycro by the sounds of things. The Teeth of the sycro get chewed and rounded then eventually it gets bad enough that the shifter will pop back into neutral when you try to engage the clutch when backing up. Seen it happen to a decent number of people.

Mikey
Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...6-reverse.html

Make no mistakes or doubt this is the root of the problem and the not so well known fix. I haven't gotten around to doing it but its at the top of the list...... you know the one that can sometimes span quarter miles fast than a twin turbo setup.

Its really not so bad a fix especially if you could get in there yourself...Im the only guy I trust to do it anywayz. You could replace other jives, but it may not cure what seems to be a factory defect.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

i have the same problem, hard to get into reverse. i have new hydraulics and everything. im gonna take the pos centerforce out because im pretty sure thats the problem. almost every gear needs a little force to get into.

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse...sucks