Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quick LS7 clutch question about lining up pressure plate...

Old 10-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick LS7 clutch question about lining up pressure plate...

Started my LS7 clutch install (got it from Fred Beans) today and got to putting the clutch disk back in but wasn't sure if there was a specific way it had to go on. There is one green line on the LS2 flywheel and that is lined up correctly on the 6 holes and then the guide hole. One the pressure plate though, there is one giant pink paint spot and then 3 smaller green paint marks about every 60 degrees apart or so. We could get the plate on and have it sit on the pins on the flywheel, but none of the paint marks line up at all whichever way we put the pressure plate on.

Question is....is there a specific tell-tale why the pressure plate has to sit, or does it not matter as long as it's lined up on the pins on the flywheel???

We called it a night tonight then will continue tomorrow and finish that up and swap out the master for the newer 01-02. We already replaced the slave and pilot bearing today.

Thanks!!

-Craig

EDIT::: Just found this pic in another LS7 thread and it would appear the paint marks do not line up at all...

Last edited by Craig91; 10-28-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

I just put the same clutch in My SS a couple weeks, back, I didn't try to line up paint marks, just be sure the dowel pins in the Flywheel align with the Pressure plate..Torque the fasteners to the correct specs. Did you happen to have a LS1 clutch plate alignment tool? I had to buy a universal one from NAPA. You will like this clutch. Just don't go with a poly trans mount or you will have a ton of vibration
Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I bought a universal clutch alignment tool from Metco Tools up here in CT. Hopefully it will work, or I'll have to go out and try to grab the one from NAPA.

I didn't do the poly trans mount cause I heard about the increased vibration.

I need to get this done tomorrow and hopefully I can put some miles on it before the weather gets real cold and I put it away for the winter.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Teching In

And everything went great today. Love the clutch so far!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick LS7 clutch question about lining up pressure plate...