Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

High Mileage Clutch That Will Take a Beating?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default High Mileage Clutch That Will Take a Beating?

First off, the car is a 1998 Z28 making with a lid and exhaust making 332hp/341tq going through a built T56, steel driveshaft, 12-bolt with 3.90's, adjustable torque arm, tubular lower control arms, and tubular panhard bar. Running on drag radials right now, and may be on slicks come summer.

I've been looking in the forums and found lots of info about holding power, but not a lot about how long they last.

My SPEC Stage 2 ( for buying a Stage 2 in the first place) is dying at about 15k. Starting to slip if I punch it in 5th at 2000ish rpm, as well as on harder shifts (which I'm not doing any more of). I'm looking for a clutch that will last me a long time (50k? is that's even possible) with a trip to the track maybe once or twice a month. The problem is that being a college student, I don't have the money to throw a Textralia at it so I was looking at something in a lower price range.

I've been looking at the Ram HD and the Centerforce Dual Friction, and I will be getting a new billet steel flywheel. Does anybody have any feedback on either one of these clutches, or perhaps another clutch in the <$500 range that will take what I'm throwing at it, if there is such a thing?

Thanks,
Jim

Search this Thread