Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 problems...synchros?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 problems...synchros?

Having escalating problems with my car over the last couple years. It began with just popping out of reverse every now and then. After a while the car would lock me out of first gear from a stop unless I clutched in/out then back in again. Several months after that the car started randomly grinding 3rd and 5th gear on top of those problems. Lately it has been also feeling very "notchy" rather than smooth like it used to be.

The clutch is about a year old and the hydraulics were updated during the install I believe. Also the problems occurred with the old clutch and never got better after the new one went in so I don't think it's related to that at all.

Could this be the synchros? Or something else? Wondering how much i'm looking at to get this finally fixed once and for all...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your problems started and continue with poor clutch release concerns no matter how many new parts you thow at it. The continual operation this way may have taken the toll on your synchros. Your jump out could be due to repeated clashing or a mis adjusted shifter( I see you have a replacement part)
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, what could be causing the clutch problems? Is it still the hydraulics giving me trouble? I know it isn't driver error because I have consciously made an effort to have the clutch completely in and completely released while I tested it on numerous occassions. The car also seemed to pop out of reverse every now and then even with the stock shifter so these issues have me a bit confused.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

It may be that your trans had just too much damage before your clutch change and is now due for a rebuild.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch, any idea what the cost range is on that? I'm assuming it'll range a lot depending on the extent of the damage but just wanting to get an idea.

also, if the installer updated the slave cylinder but didn't do anything such as a drill mod on the master, could that help solve the problem? Just grasping at straws here since i'm not exactly sure what they did when they were in there.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they would have charged you if they went into the box. The drill mod will help overall but it will not fix what you have described. You could benefit from a pressure bleed of the release system but I think its deeper than that.If its been doing this over a long time( I think you said years) you may be talking a choice of putting big $$ in an old box or just getting a new one.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright thanks for the good info even though it's not what I would have preferred to hear . I'll have to bring it in some time in the near future to get it looked at before it gets damaged any further.

It's hard to tell with this car because the original clutch install I had was totally botched when they left a bolt snapped off in the friction plate. Luckily I have another shop now that re-did it for me and are real nice guys so they're familiar enough with the car to hopefully find the problem quickly and get me a decent price.

Quick Reply: t56 problems...synchros?