Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M5 Tranny Toubles....need Some Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5 Tranny Toubles....need Some Advice!!

Alright my buddy has a 97 RS with the 3.8/m5 combo....soooo

He replaced the clutch/flywheel last summer and hasnt had any problems with it.....until the other night we were out driving...he came to a stop and went to put the car back into gear and all the sudden we heard a slight ticking noise from the clutch/flywheel area (front of transmission) and when he went to release the clutch the car started to move then when he gave it gas the noise became louder and the car wouldnt move. He says his pedal is normal and has pressure. we dropped the oil out of the pan in prep for dropping the tranny thinking it was the clutch but i noticed there was small chunks of metal in the oil. didnt know if this would be related or not? figured id ask you guys for your thoughts on what the actual problem could be, thanks alot!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chunks are never good in a cluster gear-design transmission( all gears in mesh). Is it possible the trans was low on oil? Was there a burnt clutch stench when he tried to move the car?Does it shift in/ out of gear easily when the engine is running? More details are needed to get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Teching In

hey this is the friend that owns the car. no there was enough tranny fluid in the transmission. i didnt smell any type of unusual smell when it broke. and its not metal chunks in the fluid, its more like very fine metal, the fluid was cloudy and when it was sitting in the pan i dropped the fluid into it was like a grayish red fluid, there was not chunks. as soon as i start the car there is a clicking nosie right in the area of the flywheel. when i push the clutch in it stops, but when i left the clutch out slow it clicks faster and louder and when i left the clutch out really fast like dumping the clutch it doesnt click at all for a couple of mins then starts to slightly click then click alot. i have pressure on the peddle like i normally would. i have replaced the cluth and flywheel before and when that broke the first time i didnt have any pressure and this time it doesnt feel the same from when it broke before. any other advice???
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still not a whole lot of information there but a few thought:
If you only hear the clicking/ roll over noise(no drive) when the clutch is engaged( out) it nay be a broken input mesh( 4th gear/ headset) If it drives ok but makes the noise it may be a piece of debris has gone through a gear set( any really) and you hear a damaged tooth rotating. It is still possibel that you have a damaged clutch disc and a segment is out of place and you hear that rotating. At any rate, you are going to have to pull the trans to see fully.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Teching In

ok we pulled the tranny....the gearset seems fine. no odd noises except the noise of the rotating gears as you spin it(no oil so its a little louder) We havent tooken the clutch off yet. By the way my buddy told me last night that it broke on a 55mph downshift into second while being pulled over. he told me he popped the clutch out real quick when he downshifted and then it wouldnt go anywere. i guess next is to get the clutch off and see whats up there