Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 yoke?

i have a t 56 and i want to know if i can install a yoke that does not slip in the trans so that i can have a drive shaft made that slips in the center the tranny is bone stock
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about using a fixed flange? There is a thread in the end of the mainshaft that you could use to fasten a flange or yoke. Sealing will be a problem but not impossible. To use a flange, you will need to "face " the end of the shaft so it is truely perpendicular to the spline. This step will rquire you to dis-assemble the shaft for rework.Have you looked at a CTS-V T56? It is already set up with a fixed flange.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes thats what i was talking about. so its possible but a pain in the *** how much does a cts-v t56 run in price cause i have a t56 that i got for dirt cheep
Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think they are somewhat avail. aftermarket(used) but new will have to come from a GM dealer. If you were to use a CTS-V box as-is you will also have to deal with the odd shifter they use. It is a floor-mounted semi-remote design.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by duramax
i have a t 56 and i want to know if i can install a yoke that does not slip in the trans so that i can have a drive shaft made that slips in the center the tranny is bone stock
What benefit or reason would there be to have a shaft that "slips" in the middle ??
Old 11-03-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better balance for one. Use of driveshaft isolators for another.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

What does a driveshaft isolator do ??

Only asking, as Ive never seen a 1 piece shaft that had a slip yoke in the middle.

And if its balanced...its balanced ???
Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats odd because many european cars use them.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:14 AM
9 Second Club

Not so sure we are talking about the same thing.

Most cars over here...have indepentant suspension at the rear, which means the diff is fixed.
So actual slip movement required by any driveshaft is very limited, if any at all. The only movement would be to allow for engine/trans movement, as the diff will not move fore and aft like a live axled car would, as it moves up and down.

Most Euro type ( and indeed jap ) use a 2 piece driveshaft ( as I am using )

True, a lot of them use a CV type joint in the middle, or a tripd type joint, similar to many front wheel drive cars driveshafts ( axles ) so this would allow some degree of sip movement.

If you are seeking something for a high power situation...I dont believe that is the route to take.

I have a 2 piece shaft with a 1350 slip yoke just after my centre bearing. Due to shaft length, and packaging, I had no choice but to use a 2 piece...
That same slip yoke is a major cause for concern for me, as I do fear it wil break.

I have a regular front section with slip yoke which take me to a fixed centre bearing..and then a 2nd slip yoke in the shaft to allow for axle travel/movement. ( pictured )

I dont particularly recall seeing too many 1 piece, slip jointed shafts on production cars.
2 piece yes, 1 piece no.
Virtually all Euro type cars I have seen, all use 2 piece shafts with a centre bearing.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

shafts with the csnter slip means are called 1 piece in the industry. I agree lots of power and an independ. rear suspension is going to be carnage on half shafts.

Quick Reply: t56 yoke?