Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

ok ..i have stock t56 in my 98 t/a ...the car is also still stock .....i think i bent my 3-4 shift fork .....this is what it does ...when i first get in my car its hard to put in and out of gear ...like i have to force it in 1st and reverse ...then after i start down the road it wants to grind when i put it in 3rd and 5th until the car gets warm ...ok i raced a mustang the other night i couldnt get it to go into 3th ..i keep missing the gear when i got on it ...and sometimes it did it in 5th ..any idea of what actaully wrong and how hard is to rebuild the tranny ? .....thanks
mark
Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

sounds like 1 of three.....

1. pressure plate/hydraulic (lack of disengagement) Grinding in 3 and 5 due to extra wear on those syncros through the trials of time.....
2. Bearings in transmission worn
3. Shift rod/ guide bent/worn/broken

Sounds like you are in for some down time. Good luck and godspeed
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

thanks ...somebody else told me it maybe my clutch
Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

If the clutch isn't completely disengaging, it should grind in almost all the gears, not just 3rd and 5th.

Being that its hard to get into gear, sounds like you might be low on fluid (check it and change it) or the shift fork could be bent. Invest in a shifter with stop bolts for the future.

As for the grind, its most likely the 3rd and 5th synchros - especially since it only does it when cold. Mine does the same thing, whenever the transmission is cold I'll get a slight grind going to 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Once its warmed up, it almost dissappears completely. Only way to fix that it to have the trans rebuilt and the synchros replaced.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Synchro Sliders and Blockers would be my best guess. Seems like that is what it always ends up being...in conjunction with a bent shift fork in most cases caused by force after the grinding and tough to get in gear "force".

you might want to try and run a different blend of synthetic in it as well and see what happens. But obviously if it is a bent shiftfork or the sliders/synchros/blockers are worn out, a different ATF won't help. ....here is your source:

http://www.t56rebuilds.com/

Amber and Joe are wonderful as far as customer service goes.