Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How to set ADJ. master cylinder....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to set ADJ. master cylinder....

Hey everyone. I have an adjustable master cylinder. Its a black plastic piece...and Im not 100% sure if its a stocker modified or if its the RAM unit.

In any case...Im getting some weird engagment...and I would like to know how to set the master cylinder. The car is a swap car as many of you know...I left the setting alone from the 99 car...and installed it in my 87. I think I MAY have adjusted it out alittle bit. But I cant remember.

Here is the symptom that is making me think its not dis-engaging the clutch all the way. When in neutral, with the clutch to the floor, if I put it in first, it goes in ok. But the car will lurch ever so slightly forward. After the lurch nothing...doesnt try to creep or anything. Just a lurch. Like it will move with my shifter moving forward. Make sense?

I was thinking maybe the clutch wasnt all the way out. I rarely have shifting issues while driving...but sometimes I feel like its harder to get into gears thatn it should be. Mostly when downshifting to slow down or coming to a stop going into 1st.

Is there a procedure for adjusting the master??? Can I safely adjust it out some? I dont want to hurt the slave cylinder...or the master. Thats my main concern. Any advice on this??

Justin

P.S.... Its also a major pain in the butt to get under there, remove that "E" clip that is holding my clutch rod on the pedal. haha. So thats kind of why I was wondering if there was a procedure. Set it...and hope its correct sort of thing.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it helps...here is how the master looks. You can kind of see how far it travels by the mark on the rod. Bout an inch maybe? That was before I was driving it though...so Im not sure now.

The adjuster end of the rod has a decent spherical rod end on it with a jamb nut. Not sure if that helps anyone tell me if its a stocker or an aftermarket adj...

J.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure thats the adj. RAM master cylinder... the stocker almost looks like the rod is made of two parts and yours is one...

to adjust your piece you turn clockwise to make the clutch engaugement closer toward the floorboard and counter-clockwise to make the engaugment higher up
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man...thanks for the info.

I know HOW to make the adjustments.... Like if I wanted the engagement higher/lower. What I was wondering was if there was a procedure to make the adjustment correctly. Like...extend it to a certain length, check free play, adjust in, etc etc...

Im just afraid of over extending the slave cylinder. But I feel like I should be dis-engaging more. There is a slight chance I need to bleed the clutch more....but I wanted to make sure the master cylinder was adjusted correctly first.

J.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Launching!

i dont remove the clip, i just reach down and spin the rod coming out the firewall. as long as the jam nut is free itll pull or push the pedal freely. as for where to adjust it, good luck. i blew out one already and may have damaged my slave too. there should be a sticky added to the manual trans faq if someones got the time to write one.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm..you mean you spin the rod that comes out of the master cylinder??? Never thought to do that. Makes sense... that rod only sits in a pocket inside the master i think. So turning it probably wont hurt anything.

Yeah...blowing things apart is what scares me.

How far is too far as far as pushing the rod into the master? Like what is the maximum travel that that thing should see. Im thinking maybe if I dont have the rod extended enough, that the rod doesnt actually start moving the master cylinder internals when i start pressing the pedal. Its hard to tell because of that spring and all...Ill have to check it ou.

But there has to be some sort of way to check for free play and for engagment and all that...

Justin
Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Launching!

I dont know enough to comment on it. i gave up and my cars in the shop now. all i can say is that most people say that you are supposed to use it to return the pedal to stock height assuming your new clutch has changed that. i had mine a almost to full extension when i started having problems.