Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

master cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default master cylinder replacement

How hard is it to change the master on a 98 formula? I have access to a lift and was needing to change mine soon.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Pita to get it out from under the brake master but other than that not to bad. you don't need a lift btw.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes patience more than anything.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Takes patience more than anything.
+1

Just play around with how and where you place you arms to get at it. I had one arm coming from the right and under the brake booster and the other near the steering shaft. As far as getting the thing unbolted, it's no biggie, but trying to wiggle it out with the u bolt is where it gets tricky.

Play with the angles when you try to remove it and keep in mind that if it gets off kilter at all it'll jam and you'll have to push the master back in and start over.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I was able to pull my master out tonight without too much difficulty. The one problem I did encounter though was how to remove the reservoir. The hose and reservoir are snaked behind the brake booster, and there is hardly any room, plus there are some taught wire harnesses that I didn't want to start snagging. I finally just removed the zip tie connecting the reservoir to the rubber hose and pulled everything out down by the steering shaft (reservoir not attached). How did everyone else handle the reservoir?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

It's tight but the reservoir will fit, with the line attached. I had my 12 year old son help me... his arms fit in there a lot easier than mine did. Try twisting it "every which way". The second time I did it I had replaced the pedal assembley and the brake master was lose - made it a little easier.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

So did you pull everything out toward the driver side of the brake booster? I checked the Helms manual, and it doesn't say to remove anything to get to it - just a vague "pull it out" instruction. Upon installation, I may resort to pulling the reservoir again and plugging the line with the push pin and then reconnect reservoir once the line is in place - a little messy, but oh well. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackrat
Play with the angles when you try to remove it and keep in mind that if it gets off kilter at all it'll jam and you'll have to push the master back in and start over.
YEp.... ... Takes patience. I actually loosened my ABS unit so I could slide the Brake Master out of the way. Moved the shock tower bar outta there too. Freed up some room. Make yourself comfortable laying under the hood. After it's out the re-install an't so bad.