Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rebuilding T56 what parts should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding T56 what parts should I get?

My tranny started acting up while racing a slowbra. This is exactly what happend. Got on it in 2nd slammed third, slammed 4th then by the time it was all over 4th gear wouldnt come out until it cooled down or somthing. So I finally forced it to come out of 4th gear. I drove around for a while and the problems what still exist is: 3rd doesnt want to stay in while Im not on the throttle, and 4th slides in good but when I take it out I cant get into third without the shifter acting like its rubbing somthing and then finally going in after I push a little harder. I can go from fourth to all other gears except third. I would like to put some better than stock parts in there, since its a 2000 I definatley dont want the paper syncros. And Id like to put the viper parts in there.. What should I get?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No one?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the fork pads with bronze ones, carbon blocker rings, billet 3/4 slider keys, steel 3/4 fork and a new 1/2 slider and 3/4 slider if it needs it. The sliders would depend on what yours look like when you tear it down but the other items I would say are a must for a good long lasting t56.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with Amber. Plus, I don't think you should even bother ordering parts until you open and disassemble the trans. Yes, that throws you off a couple extra days (for shipping), but you really won't know what you need until you get in there. You could find that you have mainshaft wear, or you could even damage the mainshaft during disassembly (on my trans, one time when I was removing one of the snap rings, a piece of bearing surface came off with the snap ring so the main shaft got replaced).

I like putting in new snap rings too. They're cheap for a full set, and they can get pretty mangled sometimes.