Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny / clutch issue PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny / clutch issue PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Hi there fellow ls1er's. I have a 2000 z28 m6 . My problem is that i am getting a slight grinding type of sound when i shift into gears. ( NOT certain gears) It does not do this all the time. It is also harder to shift into gears. ( NOT all the time) Somtimes it is both hard to shift into gear and also makes the grinding type sound at the same time. Every once in a while when i have it in neutral with the clutch pressed in ONLY i hear what sounds like light metal to metal grinding kind of a screeching sound. This only hapens when the clutch pedal is pressed in. The sound kinda changes as i let the pedal out. These sounds are coming from where the clutch assembly is ( SO I think). I hope you guys can help me. I did the drill mod and bled the master/slave cylinder and that did not help. Also changed the fluid in the clutch master. I have been told it is deffinitly the pilot bearing and or the throw out bearing ???? The car is sitting now for 5 days since i dont want to harm the tranny.
Thank you !
Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

it only makes the screeching sound when the clutch pedal is pushed in. My last transmission started to get really stiff to shift into gears even with the car off. I didnt change the clutch when i swapped trannys i just took the tranny off from the bellhousing. COULD it be somthing i didnt change then ?Also the car used to pop out of 3rd gear for about 2 weeks but now ( knock on wood) doesnt do it anymore. Now since i have bled the slave the clutch doesnt engage untill the pedal is almost all the way let out. I am pretty sure i got all the air out. It got stuck in 4th gear about 4 months ago when i was racing also .then another time i was trying to race a vette on the freeway i down shifted at high rpms then it wouldnt let me go into any gear kinda was stuck and grinded wherever i tried top put it ?Just thought this might help you guys help me.
Thank you !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by minesfaster; 11-14-2006 at 03:09 AM. Reason: ..
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the throwout bearing/slave cylinder, replace the pilot bearing, inspect the clutch and flywheel to see if they need to be replaced, rebleed the system. 3rd and 4th gear problems sound like the typical busted keys on the 3/4 slider.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:42 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you for replying Mike44138 ! So do you think that by me replacing the parts listed above it should fix my problem ? What should i look for when taking the clutch,flywheel and disc off ? Also is there a write up on how change out a clutch ?
Thank you !
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Teching In

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

theres a nice clutch install guide for you good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you najss !
Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Well i just ordered the ls7 clut clutch kit- clutch disc,pressure plate,ls7/ls2 flywheel,pilot bearing and slave cylinder with throw out bearing for under $600
Thanks guy's hopfully this will fix my issues.

Quick Reply: Tranny / clutch issue PLEASE HELP !!!!!